In Government on July 29, 2011 at 5:10 pm
“The way I put it is that Congress has already ordered the pizza. They approved the pepperoni. They called up and had someone deliver it,” Smith said via email. “Now the pizza guy is knocking at the door, and asking to get paid. If you don’t raise the debt ceiling, it’s like saying we didn’t want that pizza in the first place. Maybe he’ll go away if we don’t answer.”
If you are a bit bewildered, confused, overwhelmed or “pissed off” about the way these clowns in DC (these self-serving political hyenas) are responding to this national crisis, this is one of the most comprehensive articles we have come across concerning the debt ceiling debate and what it means: A reading list for following the debt ceiling.
In Everyday Living, Uncategorized on July 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Hours after a 15-year-old boy was shot, robbed of his sneakers and left to die on a Reading street, investigators searched Facebook for clues.
They found an incriminating message posted on the Facebook page of one of the young men thought to be involved in the Sept. 12 slaying of Willy Tineo-Ferreira on Green Street, according to Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams.
The message was one piece of evidence that police used to identify four suspects who were arrested the next day.
“We have used Facebook in a number of different ways to investigate crimes because Read the rest of this entry »
In Uncategorized on July 29, 2011 at 6:00 am
today’s news and information gleanings from here and there! Today’s Weather! Today in History!
Quote for today… “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.” – Thomas Jefferson.
- Sacrificing freedom in the name of “keeping us safer” … How can “safer” be measured? Here’s one measure of crime statistics in Pennsylvania communities:
We continue to look for documentation that surveillance cameras reduce crime; we have found nothing to substantiate that. Crime is reduced with good policing and an alert, responsive citizenry. The Pennsylvania State Police Uniform Crime Reporting System may provide one view about “reported” crime in any Pennsylvania community; you can use this site to view statistics in Columbia or to compare statistics among communities.
- And the economic news keeps getting … worse! (LancasterOnline.com)
- Now Armstrong announces layoffs … (Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era)
- Chef Scott Bolden holds out a True Margherita Pizza, with fresh mozzarella and local tomatoes, at the patio area of the John Wright Restaurant in Read the rest of this entry »
In History and Heritage, In Columbia, Opportunities, Treasures on July 29, 2011 at 5:15 am
“Calling All Artists”
The Mount Bethel Cemetery Company of
is sponsoring a Benefit Art Show and Sale
in conjunction with its
“Living History in Mount Bethel Cemetery – One Story at a time”
programing set for September 18, 2011
The rich history of this pre-revolutionary war 10 acre cemetery in the heart of Columbia is abundant. Funds raised during the event will be used for the ongoing revitalization and maintenance of this historic treasure.
- The subject of ALL pieces entered in the show MUST be pertaining to The Mount Bethel Cemetery of Columbia, Pennsylvania.
- The show is open to all artists of all ages.
- All media is acceptable (oils, acrylics, photography, sculpture, textile, decoupage, digital, … ).
For complete details please contact: Dale Weibley, c/o Jonal Gallery – 717-681-9400 or via email at email@example.com
In Government, History and Heritage, Treasures on July 29, 2011 at 4:41 am
POLL TAX BARRED
1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
This is a continuation of a series of posts devoted to exploring the enduring foundation of our nation. Click on the document below to go to a comprehensive Website to read the entire Constitution. Each day, we will post the successive Amendments to The Constitution, one each day.