Quote for today… “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “What’s the most dangerous thing at amusement parks. You are.” This Harrisburg Patriot-News article points out what causes the dangerous acts at amusement parks and includes links to HersheyPark’s list of accidents during 2009 and 2010.
- “Scientists have warned for decades that routinely feeding antibiotics to poultry and livestock would lead to new strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.” This is the subtitle of a Los Angeles Times editorial entitled “Superbugs in our food.” In the wake of the recent salmonella outbreak, it may be worth reading this editorial.
- A three-foot rabbit! (York Dispatch)
- First York Gay Festival next weekend (York Dispatch)
- Restaurants and dining facilities inspections this week: In York, only two restaurants failed. In Lancaster, here is the report (Restaurant Inspections August 7) listed in today’s Sunday News; a fuller database of inspections appears at the LancasterOnline Website. All facilities in Lancaster and York counties, except those in Columbia, are listed at the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Website.
- PennDOT looking for winter drivers (York Dispatch)
- PennDot is installing cameras; but, dang it, none in Columbia. (Lancaster Sunday News)
- Reeling in monsters from Susquehanna River (Lancaster Sunday News)