today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today… “Since we can no longer trust our elected representatives to represent us rather than their large donors, we are creating a microcosm of what democracy really looks like,” reads a flier (at the Occupy Wall Street protest rally).
- BHI Properties “buy Columbia” continues … “USA Housing & Urban Development conveyed 823 Blunston St. to BHI Properties LLC for $35,110.” – Lancaster Sunday News
- Know what happens in Columbia and how it impacts you … plan to attend the monthly Council meeting tonight at 7:00 pm. See all the Borough’s committee and board meetings.
- PennDOT press release about bridge lane closure: “Eastbound Route 30 on the Wrights Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River between York and Lancaster Counties will be reduced to one lane for the daytime hours between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. today, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 10 – 13, weather permitting. In other words, the right eastbound lane has been closed to traffic and eastbound motorists are now restricted to the “express lane” across the bridge. Eastbound motorists are reminded they cannot exit for Route 441 from the express lane – to reach Route 441, they need to either exit before reaching the bridge and take Route 462 over the river, or they need to go beyond the exit for Route 441 and take the next exit at Prospect Road. The traffic restriction on the bridge is necessary to limit vibrations on the bridge as newly-poured concrete cures and also for the replacement of bridge bearings.” Click here to read the entire release.
- Letter to the editor about the failure of flood insurance - Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- How much will this plan cost Columbia taxpayers? “School boards throughout Lancaster County will vote this month on two Lancaster County Career & Technology Center proposals, Read the rest of this entry »