today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind ? Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and auld lang syne?” – attributed to poet Robert Burns
- “A Columbia woman will likely spend the holiday behind bars after she tried to take a police officer’s Taser during a Friday night fight at a Lancaster city bar.” - LancasterOnLine
- At the Wednesday evening Special Council a citizen asked “What is the story about New Year’s Eve in Columbia?” An updated answer to is at the end of this post.
- A bunch of area residents included in this sheriff’s holiday round-up – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- LEGAL NOTICE, published in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, December 31, 2011 – “LEGAL NOTICE Notice is hereby given that Columbia Borough Council will hold its organizational meeting on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 7 p.m. and its regular meeting on Monday, January 9, 2012 at 7 pm in the Borough Municipal Building, 308 Locust St., Columbia, PA. If you are a person with a disability wishing to attend and require an accommodation to participate in the meeting, please contact the Borough Office at 684-2467. Norman B. Meiskey III Borough Manager.”
- End-of-year lists are everywhere; here’s one we find interesting. “10 head-turning quotes from 2011” or I can’t believe he/she would say that! – Project on Government Oversight
- Water company to get bigger? – “Columbia Water Co. is offering to buy its small neighbor, Marietta Gravity Water Co., for $3.5 million.” – My Columbia News
- C’mon down to Florida! – “Sinkhole Swallows Two SUVs at Florida Rest Area” – Firehouse.com
- Worth reading column on today’s Lancaster New Era Commentary page: “Baby boomers lament: welcome to age warfare.”
- “dumass move” retracted – “After a customer backlash, Verizon Wireless on Friday dropped a plan to start charging Read the rest of this entry »