today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.” – W.E.B. DuBois
- OLA Novice team wins tournament
- “School districts here wrestle with budgets. Columbia school board, for instance, approved a preliminary budget with a 10.78 percent increase, which would boost the average taxpayer’s bill by $216. But the board’s goal for its final budget is to stay within the district’s Act 1 index of 2.5 percent, which would result in an average tax increase of $50, according to business manager Laura Cowburn.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Austerity will become reality! This is a reality quote from a column written by the Chief of Staff of the United States Army, General Raymond Ondierno, in the current issue of “ECHOES” – the newsletter for retired US. Army soldiers. “In the past, during periods of austerity, we’ve said, ‘We will have to do more with less.’ As we move forward under significant budget restrictions, we will have to do ‘less with less.” We will have to accept higher levels of risk than we have in the past. Determining where best to do so is the primary task before us.” When will local governments, school boards and bargaining units come to grips with that reality? – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- The $avior $peak$ – “To hear him tell it, the United States will collapse under the weight of its health care system and basic freedoms will be history. Iran will annihilate Israel and then South Carolina if Iran isn’t blocked from building a nuclear weapon. And divorce will yield higher taxes for all Americans.” – The Boston Globe
- Letters to the editor – including one from a municipal elected “public servant” who gets it! – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- PLANS! Before he became President of the United States, Dwight Eisenhower was General Eisenhower. He was a consummate planner, but he knew: “Plans are nothing; planning is everything.” Likewise every emergency management professional and emergency responder who has been in a leadership role knows that the Incident Action Plan [Incident Action Plan (IAP): An oral or written plan containing general objectives reflecting the overall strategy for managing an incident.] sets the tone for the expected outcome of the response. Here is a perspective about planning for fire department consolidation in Columbia. Read the rest of this entry »