today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… ““Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.” – from The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, author.
- Julianne Leddy finishes third in Spelling Bee; Brynn Kelly is 28th. Congratulations ladies! – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “Police in Columbia are investigating a stabbing that took place Friday night. According to Columbia police happened in the first block of South Fourth Street around 9:50 p.m. Smith said the incident “involved a large fight that ended up with a stabbing.” – Lancaster OnLine [NOTE: Columbia news, views & reviews is unsure who “Smith” is; the LancasterOnLine article does not identify the individual further.]
- How stupid! Unannounced drills often result in trauma, injury and law suits: “Lower Swatara Township church’s mock raid draws criticism, leaves teen traumatized” – Harrisburg Patriot News
- Susquehanna Bank big hitters bag big bucks – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- One week until the opening of trout season – PA Fish & Game Commission Website
- Mini-review – Good time at the movies: Went to see The Hunger Games last night. As expected, the audience was overwhelmingly one of teenagers or young teenagers with parents and with a smattering of adults. As billed, this is a pretty good movie to watch. The audience reaction after the movies was animated … it was an enjoyable night at the movies. Yeah, there is violence; after all, it is the core of the storyline. “In a not-too-distant future, North America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch.” The Washington Times review.
- Hunger Games heroine – “Is Jennifer Lawrence Going Stir Crazy From ‘Hunger Games’ Hype? – The Daily Beast