today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Most adults, unlike most children, understand the difference between a book that will hold them spellbound for a rainy Sunday afternoon and a book that will put them in touch with a part of themselves they didn’t even know existed.” – Mark Haddon
- “Facebook chatter lands man in prison” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “The Columbia Borough school board decided Thursday to eliminate four teaching positions through attrition and reduce five to part-time status. Board members voted unanimously and without discussion.” – MyColumbiaNews
- There are plenty of horror stories about homeowners’ associations … and then there is this. – York Dispatch
- Self immolation suicide in York. – Fox 43 TV
- “The Columbia Education Foundation awarded the Columbia school board Thursday with $25,000 for the replacement and upgrade of computers and software in all four schools. The district cut its technology replacement fund in the 2011-12 budget. Wayne Hershey, CEF member, said that the foundation has donated more than $150,000 to the district the past five years.” – MyColumbiaNews
- More fallout at Penn State over Sandusky scandal – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “A former supports coordinator in Lancaster County’s Mental Health/Mental Retardation program has been arrested on child sexual abuse charges, but Lancaster police say there is no indication he victimized children he met through his employment.” – WHTM-TV (Channel 27)
- REMINDER: Tuesday is Election Day. In today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era a full page ad reminds voters of voting place changes. In Columbia, voters are reminded that 1st Ward voters no do not vote at the Fire Police Building; the voting place has been changed to The Columbia Historic Market House. Here are all of the voting places: “COLUMBIA BORO First Ward — Columbia Historic Market House, 15 South 3rd St.; Fourth Ward — Columbia School District Admin. Center, 200 N. 5th St.; Fifth Ward — St. Peter Apartment Complex, 400 Union Street; Sixth Ward — Read the rest of this entry »