today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “It is part of the general pattern of misguided policy that our country is now geared to an arms economy which was bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and nurtured upon an incessant propaganda of fear.” – Douglas MacArthur
- Kicking the debt can down the road. They’re finally figuring it out in Harrisburg; spending someone else’s money is really spending your own in the end. “People knew some of the tricks he used — transferring money from one pot to another to cover deficits, using the Harrisburg Authority as a piggy bank to buy historical artifacts, and pushing an ever-growing debt down the road.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “Our Lady of the Angels will be celebrating Vocation Day on April 27th at 404 Cherry Street, Columbia. This will be an all day event with the following guests: Sr. Mary Beth Antonelli, OSF; Fr. Joshua Brommer; Fr. Robert Harrison, C.Ss. R.; Fr. Paul Helwig; Fr. Dennis Klemash, OFM,Cap.; Sr. Claudia Mauri, DM; Sr. Geralyn Schmidt, SCC; Sr. Helene Trueitt, ASC and Deacon Eugene Vannucci. The school theme this year is “Speak Lord, Your Servant is listening,” The faculty and staff at OLA is trying to make our students aware of how God has spoken to some of our Saints and how he speaks to us in our own lives. We have asked the guests to share with the students how God has called them to their vocation and how they are serving God now.” – Press Release
- Letter to the editor (yesterday’s Sunday News)
- “The Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority will be conducting free 30-minute tours of the two wind turbines at Turkey Point for the public on May 12. Ice cream from Turkey Hill Dairy and a small gift will be given out on the tours. People of all ages are welcome, and the event will be held rain or shine.” Seating is limited and you must be registered; you can click here for pre-registration. “Available times are 9, 10 and 11 a.m., and 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Parking and check-in will be at Creswell Park on River Road.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “Romney on spending: Guns trump butter” – York Daily Record [Columbia news, views & reviews editor's note: Mitt, have you been sleeping for the past dozen or so years? Hasn't this country spent way too much on wars and international meddling?]