today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “For too long, too many Americans have faced the impossible choice between moving to an institution or living at home without the long-term services and supports they need. The goal of the new Administration for Community Living will be to help people with disabilities and older Americans live productive, satisfying lives.” - Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Department of Health and Human Services
- “Two firefighters were taken to the hospital after battling a house fire Thursday afternoon in Columbia. The extent of their injuries wasn’t immediately known. Units were called to 441 Union St. just after 3:30 p.m. Firefighters arriving at the scene reported smoke and fire coming from the second floor of the rowhome. The blaze has been brought under control.” – LancasterOnLine
- Columbia council votes to move parking area for Market House stand holders. - MyColumbiaNews
- Today is market day at the Market House. Support the Columbia Market House stand holders; market hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.
- “A former Penn Manor High School teacher (former agriculture teacher Amanda L. Stoltzfus, 26) has been stripped of her teaching credentials for engaging in a physical relationship with one of her students.” – LancasterOnLine
- And again! “A Lebanon woman is accused of taking more than $333,000 from her employer, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts.” – WGAL.com
- Nearly impossible to pry them away from the trough, it appears – “Four months after his arrest, Cumberland County Coroner Todd Eckenrode has yet to resign and continues drawing a salary.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “… due to decreased spending by the U.S. Department of Defense, which holds various contracts with the blind association, the Susquehanna Association for the Blind and Vision Impaired is laying off 30 people — about 20 percent of its work force — the Lancaster-based nonprofit agency announced Tuesday.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Letters to the editors about cyclists and permaculture in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Got ghosts? They’re saying Bube’s has. – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era.
- Maybe in Lancaster? “Local leaders to find out if they are smarter than fifth-graders” – MyLancasterNews