today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.” – Edward Abbey
- “The Columbia Education Foundation awarded more than $34,000 to Columbia Borough School District teachers for programs and projects designed to enhance the educational environment for students.” – MyColumbiaNews [The purpose of the Columbia Education Foundation is to be an important source of additional revenue, resources and support for the school district. The Foundation structure is separate from the governing structure of the school district, giving it the ability to independently argue the financial case for the district and can mobilize community support and provide a forum for activity. As a tax-exempt nonprofit organization the Foundation raises funds on its behalf and distributes those funds to the district to support high priority projects." - Columbia Education Foundation Website]
- Pennsylvania’s schools are on track to introduce “Keystone Exams” – beginning in 2013. The exams are “end-of -course assessments designed to assess proficiency” in designated subject areas. New York has had “Regents Exams” as a graduation requirement for a long time. Here’s the link to an article in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- LEGAL NOTICE, published in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, May 21, 2012 – “NOTICE OF PROPOSED BUDGET The Board of Education of the Columbia Borough School District approved a proposed 2012-2013 budget on May 17, 2012, in the amount of $21,012,134. This budget will be funded by anticipated revenues of $20,176,885 with the remainder appropriated from available fund balance (estimated to be $835,249) for one-time expenditures and for budget reserves, if needed. Said budget is Read the rest of this entry »