today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.” – Edward Abbey
- “The Columbia Education Foundation awarded more than $34,000 to Columbia Borough School District teachers for programs and projects designed to enhance the educational environment for students.” – MyColumbiaNews [The purpose of the Columbia Education Foundation is to be an important source of additional revenue, resources and support for the school district. The Foundation structure is separate from the governing structure of the school district, giving it the ability to independently argue the financial case for the district and can mobilize community support and provide a forum for activity. As a tax-exempt nonprofit organization the Foundation raises funds on its behalf and distributes those funds to the district to support high priority projects." - Columbia Education Foundation Website]
- Pennsylvania’s schools are on track to introduce “Keystone Exams” – beginning in 2013. The exams are “end-of -course assessments designed to assess proficiency” in designated subject areas. New York has had “Regents Exams” as a graduation requirement for a long time. Here’s the link to an article in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- LEGAL NOTICE, published in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, May 21, 2012 – “NOTICE OF PROPOSED BUDGET The Board of Education of the Columbia Borough School District approved a proposed 2012-2013 budget on May 17, 2012, in the amount of $21,012,134. This budget will be funded by anticipated revenues of $20,176,885 with the remainder appropriated from available fund balance (estimated to be $835,249) for one-time expenditures and for budget reserves, if needed. Said budget is to be funded by proposed real estate millage of 26.00 mills ($26.00 per $1,000), an increase of .63 mills (increase of $.63 per $1,000 of assessed valuation of taxable property). This proposed increase is 2.48% which is within the Columbia Borough School District approved index of 2.5%. Said budget is available for public inspection at the District Administration Center, 200 North Fifth Street, Columbia, PA, during normal working hours, and on the District website, www.columbia.k12.pa.us, under ‘District/Business Office/Financial Documents.’ The Board of Education shall adopt said budget with any modifications there to deemed necessary at the regular board meeting to be held on June21, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at the District Administration Center. Laura E. Cowburn, Board Secretary.”
- Letters to the editors in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Bee-Gee’s Robin Gibb dies at 62 – Los Angeles Times
- Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era sports writer elaborates on the value of focus in high school track and field winners, columnist, “L-L standouts know the value of gold.” Pete Kauffman says this: “There was Columbia’s Mike Burke capturing the Class AA javelin crown, using an implement he picked up for the first time following basketball season. A baseball player for most of his life and a football recruit at Villanova, Burke had to rid himself of his sidearm throwing style from years on the diamond to get the most out of the javelin. He accomplished that Saturday, breaking his own school record with a winning effort of 187-5.
- More York County homeowners ask for property tax reductions – York Daily Record