today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” – Paul Dudley White
- “The state attorney general’s office has busted a massive fraud scheme that targeted more than 200 elderly victims in Pennsylvania and surrounding states, including 16 in Lancaster County.” – LancasterOnLine
- Another trusted “good ole’ girl” strikes: “A Montrose Area High School teacher is charged with stealing nearly $95,000 from the district’s teachers union over a three-year period.” – Scranton Times Tribune
- “Motorists are advised that westbound Route 30 on the Wrights-Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River will be restricted to a single lane – i.e., restricted to the express lane – between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23. The daytime single-lane restriction for westbound traffic is necessary so that construction crews can repair potholes prior to the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The pothole repairs may not require the full time between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., but motorists should still be prepared to encounter the single-lane traffic restriction during this time frame.” – PennDOT Travel Advisory
- Here’s a disappointing list: No Lancaster County public high schools make it into Newsweek‘s “best 1,000 public high schools in the nation.” – The Daily Beast
- “All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy and a star-studded cast of his Philadelphia Eagles teammates will come to Lancaster to take on a group of NFL stars in a charity softball game at Clipper Magazine Stadium on June 23, the player announced Monday at a news conference.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Why would a school board in Pennsylvania wittingly spend taxpayer money to defend “barring freedom of expression?” - Lancaster New Era editorial
- “OPEN HOUSE: The Lancaster County Detachment Marine Corps League will hold an open house on Sunday from 3 to 6 p.m. at 2340 Ironville Pike, Columbia. The organization, which is looking for new members, is comprised of U.S. Marines, former Marines and Navy Corpsman. Members join together in camaraderie and fellowship to preserve the traditions and promote the interests of the U.S. Marine Corps, banding together those who are now serving in the Marines and those who have been honorably discharged. For more information, call Gil Bixler at 368-2045.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- POLICE LOG: “LANCASTER: Darryl D. Roman, 18, of Columbia, was charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana Friday, after a vehicle stop on North West End Avenue.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “Cops: Real estate agent robbed – A man kidnapped and robbed a woman after he was shown a home in West York, police said.” – York Daily Record