today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce, or a tragedy, or perhaps both.” – James Madison
- “New survey offers sobering insight into the impact of proposed cuts to education funding” across Pennsylvania – joint news release, PA Association of School Administrators and Association of School Business Officials
- Paterno’s pension from Penn State is more than $13 million – “Dan McGinn, the family’s paid spokesman, said the release of the pension payout is in keeping with what he said is Sue Paterno’s wish for complete transparency surrounding the details of the public pension payout.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- Coming in June: 8th Annual “Cruisin’ Columbia Car Show.” – OldRide.com
- “A man accused of sexually assaulting four girls Saturday in Ephrata was captured in Wrightsville Tuesday night, according to authorities.” - MyColumbiaNews
- Tough times at HACC: “Fiscal reality has forced Harrisburg Area Community College to layoff staff. HACC President John “Ski” Sygielski, made the announcement after an executive meeting Tuesday night. The workforce reduction will affect all five HACC campuses and the college’s central administration.” – FOX43 TV
- Mountville plans for 200th in 2014 – MyHempfieldNews [Read more here at the Mountville Bicentennial Website.]
- “Residential rates for PPL Electric Utilities customers will rise 15.3 percent effective June 1, the company said Monday.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Pitts responds in letter to the editors of the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “A Republican-penned bill that would pave the way for state takeovers of Pennsylvania school districts veering toward financial collapse has the support of Gov. Tom Corbett and is advancing in the Legislature.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News[Read the bill here.]
- POLICE LOG: “MANHEIM TWP.: Alvin M. Millisock, 33, of Avenue J, Columbia, was charged after a pursuit Saturday that began after police tried to arrest him on an outstanding felony warrant in the 1000 block of Dillerville Read the rest of this entry »