today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “‘We will use every tool at our disposal to challenge those who try to silence our voice.’ – U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue, getting worked up about his feeling that Big Business is ‘intimidated’ by the notion that maybe, just maybe, it would be good to know which corporations are spending how much to influence our government.” (SOURCE: Public Citizen)
- “Part Time Summer Job Opening The Borough of Columbia is accepting applications until June 8, 2012 for part time temporary summer employment (approx. 20 wks) for our Highway Dept. Must have high school diploma or equivalent, valid PA drivers license, ability to lift 75 lbs, work in all types of weather and have safety boots. Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. Current pay rate is $9.50/hr. Applications are available at the Columbia Borough Municipal Building, 308 Locust St., Columbia, PA 17512. EOE” – Lancaster Sunday News
- “Sixty-two fire companies from Lancaster, Dauphin and York counties, along with companies from Sunbury and the Poconos, made the drive to Marietta for the 92nd annual Lancaster County Fireman’s Association’s parade, a part of the Lancaster Fireman’s Convention.” – Lancaster Sunday News
- More “business is a person” stuff! Let’s keep secrecy in government!: ” … the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which plans to spend more than $50 million during the 2012 election cycle, said this week that it has a simple strategy for getting around the ruling (a federal court ruling earlier this year aimed at revealing the secret donors behind many political interest groups, calling it a bold step in favor of disclosure): By changing the focus of its ads to specifically support or oppose candidates, it will not have to disclose any of its donors.” Portland (OR) Oregonian