today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today … “”Many economists actually believe that if food production collapses, we can just make more iPods to keep the economy going.” – Jakob von Uexkull, World Future Council
- Sign of the times – “”Unfortunately, sauerkraut dinners don’t help with the firefighting training,” (Upper Leacock Volunteer Fire Department President Jared Nolt) said. “Longtime sauerkraut dinner will end: Upper Leacock firemen cite several factors” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Letter to the editors in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “More than half of high school seniors admit they text or email while driving — the first federal statistics on how common the dangerous habit is in teens.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- Triple-Crown history re-write on Saturday? “Three races in a five-week span at varying distances on different tracks. So tough only 11 horses have won it, none in 34 years, by far the longest gap ever. Now it’s your turn to try, I’ll Have Another, on Saturday at the Belmont Stakes.” – The Enterprise, Brockton, MA
- Step-up time in Philly – “The Philadelphia Phillies picked a bad season to flirt with the .500 mark. At this time last season they were 11 games over .500, two years ago they were six games over, and three years ago they were 11 games over once again. But more importantly, in all three of those prior seasons their current 28-29 record would have been good for second or third place in the NL East. But in the 2012 version of the NL East, it has them sitting in the cellar.” – The Bleacher Report