today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! - Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today … “ancillary.” – Dictionary.com
- Fire departments in trouble. “Officials also fear that, with little oversight or regulation and without a community’s elected officials remaining vigilant or departments seeking help, the deterioration of service can go unnoticed.” This quote from an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette identifies the dilemma nearly every community faces with fewer volunteers; egos, conflicting personalities; lack of standards and benchmarks and budget crunches.
- Were some of those arrested in Columbia? Wonder why this article appeared at MyColumbiaNews?
- POLICE LOG: “LANCASTER: Amanda L. Demarco, 22, of Columbia, was cited with two charges Friday, for scratching one woman and punching another and pulling her hair.” – MANOR TWP.: Rhiannon Enck-Pulaski, 19, of Walnut Hill Road, Millersville, was cited after she tried to hit and push another woman Friday. – MANOR TWP.: A homeowner in the first block of Kendes Road reported someone tried to entered her garage. She heard a noise and then found her walk-in door was open. This is the same area where recent break-ins have occurred in Millersville and Manor Township.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Hotel Locust for rent!!! This is sad news; the owners, Pam and Jesse, invested significant time, energy and passion to rejuvenate this property that had fallen into disrepair.
- LEGAL NOTICE published in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, June 26, 2012 – “ The regularly scheduled meeting of the West Hempfield Township Zoning Hearing Board will be held on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM in the West Hempfield Township Municipal Building located at 3401 Marietta Avenue, Lancaster, PA to hear the following cases: 1. Case 1152 - Salisbury Behavioral Health, Inc., 25 Hooks Lane, Suite202, Baltimore, MD for a variance to Section 502.2.A to allow a school use in the I-2 zoning district on property currently owned by Donnerville Associates located at 3700 Hempland Road. 2. Case 1153- David Bonafede, 372 Blue Bell Drive, Mountville, for a variance to Section 303.4.B.1 for the side yard set back to construct a roof over existing exterior steps on their property, zoned R-2.3. Case 1154 – Jack Hileman, 4695 Marietta Avenue, Columbia, for a Special Exception to Section 609.4.B to rebuild a non-conforming structure within the flood zone and a variance to Section 1005.3.H for a one year time extension on property he owns, zoned Rural Agricultural. Daryl S. Peck, Secretary West Hempfield Township Zoning Hearing Board.”
- Local July 4th celebrations include: “Friday, June 29 – Marietta Pioneer Fire Company will host a Fourth of July carnival Friday and Saturday at War Memorial Park. Friday’s hours are 6 to 10 p.m., and Saturday’s are 4 to 10 p.m. The carnival will conclude with fireworks Saturday evening. For more information, contact Glenn Orr at 426-3691. – Saturday, June 30 – Mountville Community Services Foundation will sponsor a fireworks display in Froelich Park at dusk. Rain date is Sunday.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era