today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.” – The Bible, Luke 4:23 – King James Version
- How many times are they going to let these “cup crooks” strike? “A woman scooped a variety of about 30 bras, worth $48 each, into a large tote bag at about 4:45 p.m. Monday and left the store at Park City Center. Total loss was $1,440.Victoria’s Secret has been the target of repeated thefts both here and across the country.” – LancasterOnLine
- Will government deficits bring out loss of civility, sensitivity, grant promises? – “Memo tells Harrisburg police to kill, adopt or dump abandoned or lost dogs” – Harrisburg Patriot-News and “Halfway through Pennsylvania’s fiscal year, the state government revenue shortfall is already almost a half-billion dollars.” – Phillyburbs.com
- Another “trusted employee” strikes – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Now it’s “almost certainly” that fracking led to the Ohio earthquakes!
- East side of town gas prices are definitely lower. Click here to see the local prices for regular.
- Do the rich contribute to charities? Not as much as you might imagine; your contributions are vital to local well-run charitable organizations. “Most of the $1 million gifts were given to charities with names that most Americans would not recognize. That means these little nonprofits do not have access to the money that famous charities do.” according to this article,”The rich continue to give – a little.” – 24/7Wall Street
- Someone told us that the restaurant at THE (Turkey Hill Experience) has shortened their hours; we went there for hot fudge sundaes yesterday at 4:10. A staffer told us that “winter hours” are in effect during January, February and March. Winter hours are 11am to 4 pm.
- Throwdown in Columbia: wrestling at Columbia Consolidated on January 21.
- Budget Crunch: “Hempfield School District is looking at a $4.4 million shortfall in its 2012-13 operating budget.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Letters to the editors – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Columbia Parks photos in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era. The text in the clipping states, “A bench on a concrete pad, above is an example of improvements coming to River Park in Columbia, officials announced last month. A $250,000 grant from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources will pay for completion of the pavilion, left, and installation of more benches and picnic tables. River Park offers boat access via Walnut Street to the Susquehanna River and serves as the railhead for the Northwest Lancaster County River Trail. Also, a $10,000 grant from the Highmark Foundation will pay for a new playground and basketball courts at Rotary Park, Second and Chestnut Streets. A sliding board, below left, is marked with graffiti and shows signs of wear, below, that would be unsafe for visitors.”