In Uncategorized on October 21, 2016 at 5:12 pm
In Education, People, Uncategorized on October 21, 2016 at 6:41 am
Another school district has grabbed the headlines with it’s “You inspire me to come to work every day” video that shows teachers getting and giving hugs. Well done, Lancaster School District.
That happens in Columbia, too.
Last night’s school district board meeting has a filled house and there were “teacher hugs” for the Students of the Month. And verbal hugs for the students’ parents and family members who attended.
CHS Students of the Month:
- Paige Schmitt – Grade 12
- Marcus Falcon – Grade 11
- Rosalie Gilbert – Grade 10
- Courtney McClair – Grade 9
MS Taylor/Hill Campus Students of the Month:
- Emma Grove – Grade 8
- Kailey Floyd – Grade 7
- Anya Abercrombie – Grade 6
- Rory Bender – Grade 5
Park Elementary School Students Of The Month:
- Chloe Shipley – Mrs. Strickler
- Morgan Gamber – Ms. Irwin
- Hayden Quinn – Mrs. Green
- Chase Marley – Mrs. Moyer
- Warner (Ricky) – Mrs. Moritz
At the meeting, Dr. Robert Hollister, superintedent, introduced Dr. Michael Smith and announced Dr. Smith will be a new principal with the Columbia School District. Dr. Smith comes from a similar position at Warwick School District.
A meeting participant wanted to make a comment near the close of the meeting, however the school board agenda has changed. Public comment on agenda and education items is now an “earlier agenda item.”
Public Comment on Agenda and Education Items
The Board recognizes the value of public comment by residents of the district on agenda items. Each resident of Columbia Borough wishing to address the Board will be limited to five (5) minutes to make their comments. After being recognized by the presiding officer, the speaker must preface their comments by an announcement of their name, address and group affiliation if appropriate. All comments shall be directed to the presiding officer. The presiding officer may interrupt or terminate a participant’s statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene or irrelevant.
In Uncategorized on October 20, 2016 at 6:00 am
Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “The relatively subdued and largely defanged Republican nominee … was a different figure from the candidate America has watched for the past 16 months.” – From this New York Times article.
Another quote … “A lack of transparency results in distrust and a deep sense of insecurity.” – Dalai Lama
Click here or on the above graphic to download as a .pdf to enlarge, to print an to share! Photo of a page from today’s LNP – Always Lancaster.
- Buying a park, “Infinite $5,000 payments” – booze at River Park, priceless! – borrowed from Master Card’s “Priceless” campaign idea.
- “Columbia Market House is announcing their change of hours for the Fall/Winter Season. They will be open Wednesday & Thursday 10am to 2pm (with limited stand holders); Friday, Saturday, & Sunday 10am to 3pm. For further information; checkout our website and follow us on Facebook – Columbia Market House.” – News release
- One infected school board loses assistant superintendent | Article in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster states Manheim Township’s deputy super is leaving for a lesser paying position elsewhere. This ahead of the state audit may mean much more to come.
- Huh? “prosecutors didn’t believe they could ‘sustain the required burden of proof for conviction,’” – This line from this Lancaster Online article shows what happens when the press release is the article. You get to say what you want – and people are supposed to believe it. Will Rogers may have been wrong. Or he may have been right!
- “All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that’s an alibi for my ignorance.” – Will Rogers.
This notice was emailed by the Borough to those registered to receive email at the Notify Me email alert system. The notice is posted at the Borough’s Website. The email notice says, “Suggested donation of $2 per person.” The notice at the Website does not state that. Is this a borough function? If not, which organization, entity or agency receives the money for this? Transparency matters.