today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today … “Sunshine Laws help curtail misbehavior by government officials, educate the public through greater press coverage of government activities and provide public scrutiny to governmental decision-making.” – Page 1, Chapter I, first paragraph of Pennsylvania’s “Open Meetings: The Sunshine Act“
- Letters to the editors defend Prudhomme’s in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “Wrightsville will receive $100,000 to revitalize Riverfront Park with a wetlands and stream restoration project to help reduce the pollution entering the Susquehanna River and protect the town from flooding. The borough is one of 14 communities to receive funding from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation’s Local Government Green Infrastructure Initiative. The program is funded by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to a news release.” – York Daily Record [Lower Susquehanna Conservation Landscape Initiative]
- The Turkey Hill Experience was packed with visitors on Sunday. Here’s a review from Real Mom Reviews.
- “Sunbury Mayor David Persing is blaming unions and casinos for a law that he says threatens the city’s fire department and private clubs. The law, changed in February, restricts what clubs and fire companies can do with 70 percent of the money they receive by operating small games of chance. The organizations are permitted to spend only 30 percent of their gaming earnings on their operations.” – Sunbury Daily Item
- The Warwick Phillies will play the Mountville Indians in the winner’s bracket semifinal of the 68th New Era Tournament’s Midget-Midget championship series tonight. – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Positive Pirates Potential – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- TEXT SCAM: “Lower Paxton Township police said they have have received numerous reports about a scam from residents who received a text message on their cell phones telling them that their debit card had been deactivated. The message provides a local phone number to call to reactivate the card and the call is answered by what sounds like an automated answering system identifying itself as ‘Belco Community Credit Union 24-hour Card Activation Services.’” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- POLICE LOG: “EAST DONEGAL TWP.: Jan Nicole Paz, 34, of Marietta, was stopped and taken into custody at 1:26 a.m. Sunday on Route 441 at Ore Mine Road, state police said.” – SCAM ALERT “PENN TWP.: A resident of the 500 block of Brookshire Lane applied for a job on Craigslist July 3, police said. She received a response on Saturday telling her she got the job and there was a check in the mail with her first assignment. The resident got a $3,800 check in the mail on Saturday and was given instructions to buy things for orphans. An email she received indicated the caller was supposed to wait for the check to clear and then wire some money back to the person who sent the email. The woman was suspicious and phoned police prior to taking any actions on the emails. No money was lost in the fraud attempt, police said.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “Lancaster County LINK will host its monthly partners’ meeting and a cross-training workshop on Thursday, July 19, at Fred F. Groff Funeral Home, 234 W. Orange St. The meeting begins at 1 p.m. Immediately following the meeting, Michele DeRosa, supervisor at the funeral home, will speak on “Changing Trends in Funeral Service.” After the presentation, participants can tour the funeral home. The event is free, but anyone planning to attend should email Anne Heberlein at LancasterCountyLINK@mail.com or call 380-9714 by noon on July 17.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era