today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today… “They might not know that half of Americans don’t own a smartphone, one-third lack a broadband connection and one-fifth don’t use the Web at all.” – Extracted from this New York Times opinion column: “Our schools, cut off from the Web.”
- So, where are all the cicadas? – York Daily Record
- “East Hempfield OKs more signs for Spooky Nook Sports Complex” – Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era
- Man sentenced for Columbia shooting – MyColumbiaNews
Edward Moore – Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era photo
- Columbia’s triple-jumper Edward Moore is named to the Lancaster Newspapers’ Spring All-Star list – also named were Ashlyn Phillips; Megan Seibert, Jenai Plowden and Jenna Plastino.
- “A look at 10 notable central Pennsylvania charities and their finances” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “If you wanted to look up something on the city of Harrisburg’s website over the weekend, you ran into a dead end. Going to the site’s URL of www.harrisburgpa.gov redirected people to pairLite, the Pittsburgh-based company hosting the city’s website. ‘It’s being taken care of,’ Robert Philbin, the city’s new chief operating officer, said Monday afternoon. It’s unknown how much the city owes in unpaid hosting fees. A $19,000 contract was issued to pairLite in 2010, most likely for the city’s website redesign.” – Harrisburg Patriot-News