Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “These coddled crybabies (Republicans) bloviate the party line as directed by their party leaders – they are nothing more than parrots, good little robots programmed to repeat the same talking points. They will pay come the General Election. People in this state are sick of their bulldickey.” – comment following this article “Statewide Reactions to Governor Wolf’s Budget Address.”
[NOTE: Don’t you love the use of the word, “bloviate?” One meaning is: “talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.”]
- Isn’t it curious that the adulation of Trump’s “plain speak” style is not shared by Republicans when done by a Democratic governor?
- Or like this commenter’s, who says: “TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX…. it’s the only answer they have to anything. How about END PENSIONS? The No. #1 expense. Nothing comes close to the cost of pensions. This INSANE pension system has got to end. You get a 401k with a defined CONTRIBUTION, not a defined BENEFIT. Save your own damn money like the rest of us have to.” – Philly.com
- “It’s a national embarrassment that Pennsylvania, with one of the largest and best-paid Legislatures in the country, can’t get a budget done.” – Pennlive.com
And on the ninth day, it snowed again … once again, it’s dig out time!
- Closings and delays – WGAL-TV
- Meanwhile … at the continuing soap-opera saga, Another World Cloaked in Secret Meetings, the jurisdiction’s police department will join the DA’s investigation and the next school board meeting will be in a gym to accommodate all the pissed-off citizens. – Lancaster Online
- We looked but could not find any mention of Columbia in the MUNICIPAL BRIEFS or the SCHOOL BRIEFS in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster. Seems as almost every other borough had news items listed?
- From a letter-to-the-editor in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster, these words about US Representative Pitts’ rolling in retirement money: “You have to understand that he is a visionary: He saw a pig and wanted some of that pork. He was involved in a corrupt system and took advantage of it. What he is getting paid is a result of his investment in the system. Nothing wrong with that. It is the American way.”
- Chip may have seen this coming – Philly.com
- “Ash Wednesday is one of the most popular and important holy days in the liturgical calendar. Ash Wednesday opens Lent, a season of fasting and prayer. Ash Wednesday takes place 46 days before Easter Sunday, and is cheifly observed by Catholics, although many other Christians observe it too .” – Catholic Online