today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- What is Easter | What do Christians celebrate on Easter?
- Another newspaper – gone! | London’s Independent to cease as print edition – BBC News
- The continuing loss of newspapers places democracy in grave danger. Alexis de Tocqueville, the French aristocrat who toured the fledgling United States in the 1830s’, wrote: “WHEN men are no longer united among themselves by firm and lasting ties, it is impossible to obtain the co-operation of any great number of them unless you can persuade every man whose help you require that his private interest obliges him voluntarily to unite his exertions to the exertions of all the others. This can be habitually and conveniently effected only by means of a newspaper; nothing but a newspaper can drop the same thought into a thousand minds at the same moment. A newspaper is an adviser that does not require to be sought, but that comes of its own accord and talks to you briefly every day of the common weal, without distracting you from your private affairs.”
- Lancaster County inspections – Lancaster Online
- In York County, one eating place out of inspection “twice in March.” – The York Dispatch
- Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.
- … except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.