today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Dishonesty is contagious.” – Simon Gaechter, University of Nottingham, in this article about lying. Really disturbing article about the embracing of lies in our culture.
- THIS EVENING | JOINT MEETING of the School Board’s elected public servants and the Borough’s elected public servants. Borough and School Board Meeting agenda 4-18-16 doc (TS)
- This is stated twice on the agenda; it must be important: “The Board and Council recognize the value of public comment. Each person wishing to address the Board / Council will be limited to five (5) minutes to make their comments. After being recognized by the presiding officer, the speaker must preface their comments by an announcement of their name, address and group affiliation if appropriate.”
- This is the reason for the meeting: “A motion is requested to approve the acceptance of a Pennsylvania Department of Education Grant in the amount of $60,000.00 year one, (July 2, 2016 – June 30, 2017) and $30,000.00 year two, (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018) to place a school Resource Officer at the Columbia Senior High School beginning with the 2016-2017 school year. This program will continue from year to year unless either entity calls a joint meeting to discuss termination.”
- “We all lie, scientists say, but politicians even more so” – AP Big Story
- She should have stolen from the PTO or Cub Scout pack instead | She would not be in jail for a misdemeanor. – Pennlive
- Income tax reporting is due today – It’s tax day!
- “Did you cheat on your taxes? Here’s why your days may be numbered” – The Conversation
- Columbia Architectural Review Board‘s meeting with glimpses into the “agenda items” on Wednesday, April 20 makes it in LNP- Always Lancaster‘s Government calendar today – Be better to have the agenda posted at the Borough’s Website.
- Medical marijuana approved in PA – PennLive
- Getting too whacked in the “garden spot”: “‘Do you want some of this?’: pants-less driver propositions woman on scooter” – Pennlive
- Columbia Spy‘s item about the trolley coming to Columbia is potentially exciting for Columbia. This Website shows: “Rivertowne Trolley Co. is located in Marietta, Pennsylvania. This organization primarily operates in the Business Activities At Non-commercial Site business / industry within the Business Services sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 3 years. Rivertowne Trolley Co. is estimated to generate $121,283 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 2 people at this single location.” Columbia Borough’s gift of $30,600 reflects as much as a 25% increase to the annual revenue projection above. Let’s hope the trolley service brings up to a 25% increase in foot traffic and sales to Columbia’s businesses!