today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “What’s the deal with the Code Dept.? It’s a laughing stock. How can Council let this continue??? It surely seems like it “depends who you are” and rules are meant only for certain people. We see this every single day.” – an observation from a commenter at this Columbia Spy article about the property at 208-210 Locust Street.
- Kinda’ chilly for the middle of May … and, oh, joy, the week ahead promises to bring “rain!”
- Just when you think you want to trust law enforcement … things get smarmier.– Pennlive
- In the minutes for the Property Committee’s April meeting: “Greg Sahd, Borough manager is going to get Jeff Helm involved because there are specific food guidelines that need to be followed.” Wonder when Columbia will get on board with the specific guidelines that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania uses to for food serving establishments?
- “At Power Packs, we recognize that food insecurity can happen to anyone, and when it does, the affects can be far-reaching. The Power Packs approach combines recipes, meal packs and education so that food insecure families can develop skills in meal preparation and stretching their food dollar. We are not just feeding people. We are EMPOWERING them to take care of themselves.”
- Four citizens spoke to the absence of consistent application of codes at last Monday’s council meeting. The consistency of comments concerning the borough’s unwillingness to have consistency of codes application detracts significantly. Each of the citizens expressed their pride for Columbia but were exasperated with issues as trash, parking, lighting and inconsistent or non-existent application of codes or ordinances.
- “Marietta day will be held on Saturday May 14th 2016 from 9 AM to 3 PM rain or shine. Vendors line up through the downtown and lots of food, games, sales and music to enjoy.”