Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Pity poor millennials: They grew up expecting that young adulthood might look something like ‘Sex and the City.’ Instead, they’re living out their own version of ‘The Waltons.’” – from this article at Pennlive: Why are so many Millennials moving back home?
- 6:25 am … no e-edition of LNP – Always Lancaster; “the “hold-it-in-your-hands” version is lying outside on the grass. Oh, modernitity. Maybe someone forgot to push the button … because the Sunday issue is now up (6:33 a.m.)
- Today at 2:30 – Columbia’s Memorial Day parade – Should citizens and visitors expect to find information about the Parade at the Borough’s Website? You’d think, wouldn’t you? This listing is at the Chamber’s Website. And this is listed at Hinkle’s Website: “May 29 … Memorial Day Parade – Columbia’s United Veterans Council has announced the 2016 Memorial Day Parade will be held on Sunday, May 29th, 2016. The parade will start at 2:30pm. at 10th and Manor streets. The Memorial Service will be held in the Park at the Gazebo at 1:00pm. The Home Post this year is the Amvets Post 153 Columbia.”
- Tide’s Jordan Haberstroh and Javon McIntyre click at the PIAA track and field finals – The State, Columbia, SC
- Back in March, LNP – Always Lancaster‘s sports editor nailed it about Javon with this article. Here’s Javon’s football highlights video.
- OK, yeah, like the IRS wants to be paid in i-tunes cards | Honestly, how gullible can one be? $2,300 gullible! – Pennlive
- Equally gullible – the staff at Peach Bottom nuclear facility | A “lost couple” gained entry to a nuclear facility by cutting the lock. – The York Daily Record
- Why? – “In 2015, more than 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in crashes nationwide, making it the worst death toll in seven years.” – PublicSource
- Think about this next time you write a check to Penn State: The Patriot-News lists those with the highest salaries at the tax-supported university. Who is on top in this academic institution? Who do you think?
- The Governor wants to fix this, but “PA is one of 25 states that isn’t good at posting data” – PublicSource
- So well done | Received an email from the author of Strictly Sarah – Like Sex in the City…Only less sexy , in the suburbs; in it Sarah shared her D-I-Y (do it yourself) Wedding tale. Sarah’s delightful three-part narrative of The Wedding is here:Part one – Where it all began, the first wedding; Part two – All of the moving pieces and Part three – A DIY Wedding.
- “The Gen. John H. Michaelis Post #327 of the Korean War Veterans Association is seeking new members. The chapter held its first recruiting session on Saturday in Columbia.” – FOX43-TV
- Hey, almost everyone wants a drone; jut be careful when buying on from a craigslist listing? Do your transaction at a police station: “But a new idea is emerging with local police departments around the country to combat the problem: A ‘safe exchange zone,’ clearly marked in the parking lot of a well-lit police station, or even in the lobby of the police station, for people to meet and sell their goods with less fear of a quick or violent rip-off.”. – an article at The Washington Post
- By a Gadfly on the Susquehanna | also known as Mary Ellen Graybill
“It was a warm and humid night for Friday night’s FOURTH FRIDAY in downtown Columbia. You could step into air conditioned gallery elegance at a couple art venues, grab a snack of fresh grapes, cheese and crackers and drinks while seeing real art and artists willing to share their love of life and being creative! At SCCA, you would have met prolific and talented artist Claire Lavin, founder of the Marietta Art House, and husband Tom. Claire, who had several astounding displays of talent in china sculpture and painting, and Tom had many stories to share about the creative process. Claire is selling the beautiful china lady for $2000.
“This Gadfly found lots of friends to ‘bug’ and much to enjoy in the old, historic town.”
- Will this change how you eat – sugar on the label? – futurity.com
- Lancaster County inspections | A comment following the listing says, “Seems operators are not worried if they pass or not,but if violators had a sign on their front door stating the establishment failed food safety inspection,then I believe more will comply.Otherwise its just “same old,same old”…my 2 cents…“ – Lancaster Online
- Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.
- … except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.