Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Today’s quote … “It’s a wise father that knows his own son.” – William Shakespeare
Another quote for today … “Let each American make this Father’s Day an occasion for renewal of the love and gratitude we bear to our fathers, increasing and enduring through all the years.” – from the first Presidential Proclamation about Father’s Day, 1972, President Richard Nixon.
Yet another quote for today … “If you have an hour to kill — or maybe you should make the time — visit the Wright’s Ferry Mansion in Columbia.” – From a letter to the editor in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster.
“In June of every year, we honor fathers. The first Mother’s Day was celebrated in 1914, but a holiday honoring fathers did not become official until 1966, when President Lyndon Johnson declared that the third Sunday in June would be Father’s Day. President Richard Nixon made this proclamation permanent in 1972. But this doesn’t mean that the holiday was not celebrated before this time.” Above photos: left – “Albert M. Bender, artist, poster for a father and son banquet, Federal Art Project, WPA, 1939.” right – “Sioux father and child, photo by Graves Studio (Chadron), between 1890 and 1920.” – TheLoc.gov
- Thunder on the River article – Lancaster Online … and photos in the “hold-it-in-your-hands version!
- Sick father … gifts his daughter – FOX43-TV
- But was he “brainwashed?” – Pennlive
- “This 5-minute game makes kids better at math” – Futurity.org
- “Turkey Hill Campfire S’mores Premium Ice Cream Exclusively Available First at Turkey Hill Minit Markets Beginning June 17 – Got a taste for s’mores but no time to build a fire? That “’round the campfire” feeling can be as close as your freezer with a special flavor sensation available for a limited time only: Turkey Hill Campfire S’mores Ice Cream, available first at Turkey Hill Minit Markets in Pennsylvania. A Turkey Hill Premium Ice Cream flavor, Campfire S’mores is made from a rich graham-flavored base enhanced with chocolate-covered graham crackers and marshmallow swirl to pack that familiar fireside-classic taste into an ice cream. ‘Even if you won’t be camping at all this season, there’s no reason not to enjoy the taste of S’mores, thanks to this creative ice cream recipe from Turkey Hill,’ said Kim Hertzog, Public Relations Manager, Turkey Hill Minit Markets. ‘But don’t forget that Campfire S’mores Premium Ice Cream is a Limited Edition flavor. So be sure to pick some up from your nearest Turkey Hill while it’s in our stores.’ – news release
- “super Human Customer Service – AI | “What it takes to be human” – “Today, as much time and effort is being put into making AI ‘human’ as is into making it useful. In the next decade, research in AI will be largely devoted to developing social robots that can help, assist and look after people in our daily environments – homes, banks, hotels, shops – in a way that is natural for humans as well as efficient.” – The New York Times
- U Thai cleans up in Lancaster County restaurant inspections. Awesome turnaround from a few weeks ago. (O-o-o-o-o, U Thai … not looking good on your restaurant inspection. U’ve lost a lot of us! One of the really bad dining facility inspection reports). – Lancaster Online
- York County inspections | Got to love the “chicken blood pooling in the bottom of the reach-in refrigerator.” – The York Daily Record / York Sunday News
- Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.… except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.