Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” – Marcus Aurelius
Another quote for today … ““all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. ” – Garrison Keillor’s opening line about Lake Wobegon. The Lake Wobegon effect, a natural human tendency to overestimate one’s capabilities, is named after the town.
And now the second half of the year begins – can you believe half of 2016 is history.
- Speaking of history, today marks the 153rd anniversary of the first day of fighting in the Battle of Gettysburg. It’s the last day alive for Union General John Reynolds of Pennsylvania.
- George Will | The Battle of the Somme
- Lobbying and spending money to “sway elected public servants works to get legislation your way: “In a victory for the Catholic Church and a rebuke to the state House, the Senate voted Thursday to change the state’s child sex-abuse laws, but only after removing a contentious provision that would have let victims from as far back as the 1970s sue their attackers and private institutions.” – Philly.com
Need some biting satire to spice up your reading? Try this “Manheim Township Votes To Leave Lancaster County.” – People of Lancaster
- Lancaster Independent Press also offers news – perspectives – opinions.
- As does NewsLanc.com
Are Columbia Borough’s committee minutes current and up-t-date online? Some are – some of the time.
- Safety Committee Minutes 2-10-16
- 5-17-2016 Property Cte Minutes
- 5-11-16 Legislative Committee Minutes
- April 19 Public Works Minutes
- 4-21-16 Community Development Minutes