Quote for today … “American democracy has been on a roll. Over the past few weeks, courts across the country have affirmed that we are better when everyone participates and each voter’s voice is heard.” – From this article at Truth-out.org. [NOTE: An example of citizen involvement was seen at last week’s school board meeting; involvement evokes transparency.]
- Be extremely cautious when driving; follow speed limits and stop for pedestrians in crosswalks – Columbia’s children are back at school.
- The Pennsylvania law is: “When traffic-control signals are not in place or not in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.” AND “Whenever any vehicle is stopped at any crosswalk at an intersection or at any marked crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.“
Second quote for the day … “Our over-reliance on property tax bolsters school district borders that are segregating our neediest communities.” – from this NPR.org article.
Another quote for the day (this one a NIMBY quote)… “Great idea!!! Give our youth something to do. Kudos. Meanwhile let the rest of the youth move out of the TOWN if they can’t behave, take your parents with you since they can’t control you.” – Anonymous comment following this innocuous post at Columbia Spy.
- Where, exactly, is the GHETTO situated in Columbia? This anonymous commenter at Columbia Spy contends there is one!
- Finally … in the MUNICIPAL BRIEFS in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster, there’s a synopsis of last Thursday’s Columbia Borough School District board meeting. Much of what’s reported has already been reported by Columbia Spy and Columbia news, views & reviews.
To read this compliance audit, click here or on the graphic above. Just like yours? “Retirement Benefit: Benefit equals 50% of final 36 months average salary, plus a service increment of $100 per month for each year of service in excess of 35 years, p to a maximum of $450 per month.”
- There’s a syndicated graphic in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster showing that CVS Drugs “loves this fast-growing slice (huge increases in prescription drug prices) of the pharmaceutical market.” It’s true, the system is rigged in favor of business: “The price of an EpiPen has skyrocketed more than 500% since 2009 — and senators are asking for answers.” – Business Insider
Letter-to-the editor in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster
- In the LEGAL NOTICES yesterday: “LEGAL NOTICE The Columbia Borough Council is seeking volunteers for a newly created Market House Advisory Committee.” – Lancaster Online
On someone else’s dime! – The Huffington Post