Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “They’re keeping rates down because they don’t want everything else to go down.” – Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in this ClickOnDetroit article. And the prince of financial chicanery is right on in this issue: a false economy.
Another quote … “Omg please no more antique stores it’s getting to be to much … “ – from a string about the next occupant of Prudhomme’s at “What’s Happening in Columbia,Pa. and Area” facebook page.
- Philip H. Glatfelter II obituary – Lancaster Online
- Inexcusable abuse | “Catholic War Vets cited”closed says a small blurb in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster. Here’s the story from the PLCB. Pretty reprehensible actions for a not-for-profit entity.
- No. 1 consumer complaint – carconsumers.org
- Why can’t Pennsylvania be one of the states “Putting the Brakes on Buy Here, Pay Here Dealerships?” – Governing.com
- And what are the Pennsylvania laws on Buying or Repairing a Car? – PALawHelp
OPINION: One reason might be a bloated legislature – special interest groups and lobbyists have open access – they don’t give a damn about the people they’re supposed to represent.
If you are not registered, you cannot vote! – Tuesday, October 11 … Last day to register to vote for the Election.
- More joy from those folks at Wells Farago | “Wells Fargo: Nearly 80K potentially unauthorized accounts opened in Pa.” – Central Penn Business Journal
- Meant for each other | “Mike Pence — Trump’s Overlooked Stroke of Genius?” – OZY.com
- “F&M poll shows sharp drop for Trump in PA.” – WITF.org [NOTE: Don’t be too quick to take this to the bank; remember the source is the left-leaning, tree-huggers at an academic institution and a left-leaning media source and that Trump’s supporters are the “180-opposites.”
- “Revolution in public transportation? Not so much.” – NPR.org | Another example of government funding a program for personal gain (think then-Senator Byrd). And think Barnstormers asking for more government aid. Or think “trolley.”
- If you’re on Medicare these are important: “Dates & deadlines for 2017 health insurance” – Healthcare.gov
- How curious the principal position at Columbia High School is posted at Monster – LinkedIn – JobAviator and maybe more places (including the District’s Website). Wonder why a “wider net” wasn’t case for a non-academic position? Today’s the end of the search application period.
- What’s the fair for pranksters now that they’ve had fare warning?
- “Bass buys Cabela’s”– Central Penn Business Journal
- Hoorah! “The Yorktowne Hotel is scheduled to close end of day on November 6, 2016 to embark on an extensive renovation project that will make the hotel a premier destination in our downtown.” – The Yorktowne Hotel Website
- Piece of work | “Officials: Mount Joy man assaulted wife, then called 911 asking police to check on her” – Lancaster Online
- Correct course, West York councillors – Pennlive