Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “We need a change.” – Mel Sadler, “a 72-year-old retiree from Marietta, said over breakfast Wednesday at Hinkle’s Pharmacy Restaurant in Columbia” in this Lancaster Online article.
Today’s second quote … “Congrats republicans! You have all three branches. Can’t wait to be great again. There should be no excuses you have total control. What could possibly go wrong? Let’s wait a year or so to see how great we are. Hope all those currently dancing in the streets will be doing the same then.” – One of the comments following this Lancaster Online article.
- Trail terrorism – look at this photo, one of several from a post at the facebook site: “You know you’re from Columbia PA if…”
- Columbia to consider “General Obligation Bonds, in the maximum aggregate principal amount of $12,180,000″ at next Monday’s Council meeting. – Legal Notice at Lancaster Online [Also posted at the Borough Website.]
- Columbia Borough School District Website says this: “Committee of the Whole Board Meeting (if needed) – 7 pm” We’re guessing the meeting is needed because there’s a posted agenda.
- Watch the weasels – Now that it’s over, watch the GOP weasels do their “suck-ups” just to keep their jobs. Weasels like Paul Ryan and these others on the “Full List of Republican Politicians Who (said they) Won’t Support Trump” – dailywire.com
- Some are frightened – “I’m a disabled American. Trump’s policies will be a disaster for people like me.” – Vox.com
- And … councillor, how, exactly will you and “Council ‘ … defend your rights till the end?'”
- To the victor go the spoils – Never more true if Giuliani sucks his way into the new President’s cabinet. [The term was derived from the phrase “to the victor belongs the spoils” by New York Senator William L. Marcy, referring to the victory of the Jackson Democrats in the election of 1828, with the term spoils meaning goods or benefits taken from the loser in a competition, election or military victory. – Wikipedia]
- A few days ago we asked: “Just wondering … | “Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf is a businessman who is independently wealthy, has declined his state salary. He “sees himself as a ‘citizen-politician.’” Wonder whether that’ll be the posture that either of the wealthy presidential candidates or the PA Senate candidates take?
- So … rich guy Senator Pat Toomey will you be taking that $174,000 a year salary plus perks?
- Mr. President elect, does that still hold for you? In September 2015, (you) said you “won’t take even one dollar” should he be elected. ”I’m totally giving up my salary if I become president,” you said. “The president’s current salary is $400,000 a year, but the job comes with a few perks … ” – Politico.com
- The Veterans Expo & Job Fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday at Spooky Nook Sports, 2913 Spooky Nook Road, Manheim. Free to all veterans, active military and their families, it will feature more than 100 exhibitors. Representatives of the Lancaster County Recorder of Deeds will help all honorably discharged county veterans record their DD-214 papers and enroll in the free Thank a Vet discount program. (Veterans should bring the full-size DD-214.) Representatives of Pennsylvania CareerLink of Lancaster County will review resumes and discuss opportunities for job seekers. For more information, call 285-1350 or visit veteransexpo.com. Attendees are encouraged to bring a donation for Lechner & Stauffer Inc.’s Toys for Tots drive.- SOURCE: news release
- Citizenry duped in aging judges ballot question? “House Resolution 783 changed the wording on the ballot. The resolution changing the wording was proposed by the Senate GOP and then sponsored by Republican Reps Harper and Marsico. The GOP goal was to keep the Chief Justice slot for another 5 years to get them thru redistricting in 2020. Only way the GOP could keep up their gerrymandering ways!! – Comment following this Pennlive article.