This “online publication” is intended to be an information source for the people who live in, shop in, work in and visit Columbia, PA. Columbia news, views & reviews intends to share relevant and topical information about Columbia, PA.
Send news releases, comments, ideas, photos and events to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Columbia, PA is a town on the Susquehanna River, originally called “Wright’s Ferry”; the town was founded in 1726. You can learn more about Columbia’s storied history at Wikipedia; the Borough of Columbia Website; the Lancaster County Historical Society Website … or you can do an extended Internet search.
A locally operated alternative news and information source, Columbia news, views & reviews will try to remember that nothing contributes to the well-being of a community more than a balanced, objective and consistent local news and information source.
Columbia news, views & reviews will try to be a community bulletin board containing accurate, fair news reporting, thoughtful insights and useful information that every reader in the community will find valuable.
Our goal is to celebrate what’s good about Columbia and its shareholders — including the idiosyncrasies that make them uniquely attractive — while calling attention, thoughtfully and fearlessly, with humor and without pomposity, to what can and should be improved.
Columbia news, views & reviews will be open to contributions from the community (including quality writing and photography submissions) and seeks to provide a big picture view of important issues. One of our goals is to update this site regularly.
The contributors of articles, stories, columns, photographs and observations presented here are people who are passionate about government transparency, rule of law, equal treatment, human dignity, history and community development and opportunity. We encourage and welcome comments, suggestions and discussion.
Among our goals is the promise to deliver information that is relevant, compelling and useful for Columbia’s shareholders. We recognize and applaud this other local online information source that has the interests of Columbia’s citizens and shareholders at heart: Columbia news, views & reviews.
This community news and information resource is edited by someone who thinks that Columbia is a jewel of a community. While Brian Long is not a Columbia native, he has lived in and around Columbia on several occasions. He sees Columbia as a community that has community pride, really nice people, incredible physical attractions, a superb location and enormous potential as a great place to live. And those are the reasons he is beginning this news and information resource … to reinforce “well-being of a community with a balanced, objective and consistent local news and information source.”
Brian’s personal history encompasses decades of enthusiasm as a knight-errant. His experiences include a long love affair with “newspapering;” two active-duty tours in Viet Nam followed by service in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard (he retired as a sergeant major); some adjunct teaching at Franklin & Marshall and Lebanon Valley Colleges; newspaper transparency training in post-Soviet nations; operating a mission-focused critical incident management training business and a brief stint as the market house manager. He tries to practice the “Be Safe – Be Nice – Do Good!” code.
NOTE: Among the host’s terms for this information source is this:
- Personal attack blogs: Blogs with the primary purpose of attacking an individual or group of individuals are not welcome. We have a particularly low tolerance for anonymous bloggers who make personal attacks without standing by their words with their real name.
Terms of Service
The following terms and conditions govern all use of this website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, the WordPress.com VIP hosting service (“VIP Service”), (taken together, the Website). The Website is operated by Columbia news, views & reviews. The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Columbia news, views & reviews.
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Columbia news, views & reviews, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allowanythird party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
By submitting Content to Columbia news, views & reviews Website, you grant Columbia news, views & reviews a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you want to delete Content, Columbia news, views & reviews will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Columbia news, views & reviews has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Columbia news, views & reviews ’ sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Columbia news, views & reviews’ reasonable opinion, violates any policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Columbia news, views & reviews’ sole discretion.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. Columbia news, views & reviews has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Columbia news, views & reviews does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Columbia news, views & reviews disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Columbia news, views & reviews links, and that link to Columbia news, views & reviews. Columbia news, views & reviews does not have any control over those websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Columbia news, views & reviews’ disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Columbia news, views & reviews asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Columbia news, views & reviews violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Columbia news, views and reviews in accordance with Automattic’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Policy. Columbia news, views & reviews will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Columbia news, views & reviews or others, Columbia news, views & reviews may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Columbia news, views & reviews to you any Columbia news, views & reviews or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Columbia news, views & reviews. Automattic, WordPress, WordPress.com, the WordPress.com logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with WordPress.com, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Automattic or Automattic’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Automattic or third-party trademarks.
- Changes. Columbia news, views & reviews reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Columbia news, views & reviews may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Termination. Columbia news, views & reviews may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or Columbia news, views & reviews account, you may simply discontinue using the Website. Columbia news, views & reviews can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Columbia news, views & reviews and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Columbia news, views & reviews nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. If you’re actually reading this, here’s a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will Columbia news, views & reviews, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services or (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data. Columbia news, views & reviews shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Columbia news, views & reviews, Automattic, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Columbia news, views & reviews and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Automattic, or by the posting by Automattic of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in San Francisco County, California. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in San Francisco, California, in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Automattic may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.