The situation has now resulted in the mayor’s resignation; investigation by the state attorney journal; a federal law suit and swarms of national media attention.
Government, at all levels, is accountable to its citizens. The rights of freedom of speech, expression and press are inviolate.
Here are links to follow-up on “a real-life soap opera” of events in that small Arizona town:
- July 10, “Martial law declared today in my small town“
- July 11, “‘Emergency’ declared in AZ town over allegations”
- July 13, “AZ town goes under martial law …”
- July 15, “Quartzsite City Council ousts mayor; claims right to secret meetings; $5 million in secret payments at issue“
- July 15, New York Times article
- July 18, “Quartzsite, AZ: the media takes notice”
- July 26, “Quartzsite Arizona, is this the first attempt for perfect democracy“
- July 26, “9 of Quartzsite’s 14 cops suspended after blowing whistle on chief; Governor ignores“
- August 15, “Who is supporting the town of Quartzsite council?”
- August 16. “Quartzsite police firings case to move to federal court”
- Today in Quartzsite (according to the online publication)
“If ‘we the people’ want to drain the swamp of corruption in government and politicians we must become involved in all aspects of government, from school boards to city councils, to state government to our federal king of corruption. The swamp rats are out there and we are stirring the waters.” (Source: Back to basics)