today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today … “When you get sick, you get better or you die.” – Pasu Aiyo, Meakambut tribal member, Papua New Guinea (February, 2012 National Geographic Magazine).
- A try; no cigar, yet! Did you notice that the 2012 budget now is listed at the revamped Borough Website? A welcome move to transparency; trouble is, the budget link is in Excel and not everyone has Excel on their computer. A .pdf file is far more friendly. Did you also notice that meeting information for these commissions, boards and authorities can be found, locating who is on these commissions, boards and authorities is harder to find? Found the Planning Commission. Found the Zoning Board. Found the Parks and Recreation Board, though at the recent “Meeting of the Whole” it was stated this Board was not in existence. We were unable to find out who is on the Board of Health; Civil Service Commission; Historical Architectural Review Board; Municipal Authority; Shade Tree Commission and River Park Steering Board. If you can find this information at the site, let us know so we can share with Columbia news, views & reviews readers.
- Download Excel Reader: You do not have to know how to use spreadsheet software to view the budget; to download Microsoft’s Excel Reader AT NO CHARGE (so you can see the budget), click here. If you have not yet downloaded Adobe Reader so you can read any .pdf file, download it AT NO CHARGE here.
- “The police chief in East Haven, Conn., is retiring amid a scandal in which four officers are accused of tyrannizing Latino residents.” – LancasterOnLine
- IMPORTANT NOTICE for facebook users: “Don’t let Facebook’s Timeline embarrass you” – Kim Komando’s column
- Teens turn to Twitter – “More teens migrate to Twitter as less-public social network” –Tulsa World
- Welcome decision: “Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) chief executive Stephen Hester will not be accepting a 1 million pound ($1.5 million) bonus that drew criticism from British public and politicians, the bank said Sunday.” – The Washington Post [NOTE: Locally, Citizens Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.]
- “Police: Man stole items from Adams County fire company” – York Daily Record
- School consolidation: “Antietam talking merger, again – Proponents cite finances and academics as reasons to combine with Exeter district” – Reading Eagle
- The switch in on: Heating oil to gas – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “Like to think? Like to drink? Check out this York city group.” – York Sunday News
- “It’ll happen to other people but it won’t happen to me.” That’s what too many smokers think; though “About one in seven people diagnosed with lung cancer report that they keep smoking, as do one in 11 colorectal cancer patients, despite smoking reducing the effectiveness of their treatment and significantly increasing the chances that the cancer will kill them.” – The Conversation