For the past two weeks or so, we’ve asked you to register your responses to the “How often do you … ?” survey questions.
As mentioned, the survey questions were posed to the readers of the Times-Union newspaper in Albany, NY. Here’s the article, with the responses their readers gave, that appeared in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era on January 16.
How often do you… ? BY KRISTI GUSTAFSON BARLETTE, Albany Times Union
From brushing teeth to changing the sheets to washing the car, we all have varying frequencies for the necessities in life.
We took a look at the norm for some of life’s “musts.”
The percentages listed are based on the results of an unofficial online poll on the On the Edge blog on Timesunion.com.
1. – How often do you brush your teeth?
- Twice a day — morning and night (66 percent)
- Once a day — the morning is more than sufficient (27 percent)
- Every time I eat (7 percent)
Fact: Nationally, the average is 1.1 times/day, according Dr. Harold Katz, founder of The California Breath Clinics who has done extensive research into oral hygiene.
2. – How often do you change the sheets on your bed?
- Once every two weeks (41 percent)
- Once a week (32 percent)
- Around the time it seems they could get off the bed on their own and walk away (27 percent)
Fact: Sixty percent of Americans let two weeks or more go by between bedsheet changes, according to a poll by AOL Health.
3 – How often do you grocery shop?
- I hit up the store once a week and get everything I need (70 percent)
- Pretty much every day (22 percent)
- Forget the grocery store, that’s what restaurants are for (8 percent)
Fact: The average shopper goes to the supermarket 1.69 times per week, according to the Food Marketing Institute.
4 – How often do you check your (personal) email?
- Constantly — it feeds directly to my smartphone (69 percent)
- Once a day (22 percent)
- I log on when I think of it — a few times a week (9 percent)
Fact: The average smartphone user checks his or her email 34 times a day, according to a study in the journal Personal and Ubiquitous Computing.
5 – How often do you wash your hair?
- Every morning (60 percent)
- Every other day — my hair does well with a little dirt and oil (37 percent)
- Once a week when I go to the salon for a blowout (3 percent)
Fact: Americans, on average, wash their hair 4.59 times per week, according to an NPR study.