today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… ““I was raised to believe that excellence is the best deterrent to racism or sexism.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Four people (including a Columbia woman) have been charged after damaging an area near a wildflower preserve in Conestoga Township by ‘offroading’ a few weeks ago, police said.” – LancasterOnline
- “Corbett’s budget categories “have changed, making it difficult to evaluate impact on (school) districts.” Millersville University’s cut likely to be 20% – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “York officials are considering merging the city fire department with a regional fire company, York Mayor Kim Bracey told York City Council Tuesday night.” – York Daily Record
“Alana Fischer was named to the dean’s list for the fall semester at the University of Pittsburgh, where she is a freshman majoring in nursing. A 2011 graduate of Lancaster Catholic High School, she is the daughter of George and Sherri Fischer of Columbia.”- Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- PRIME HOGS AT THE TROUGH!: “Thirty-three members of Congress have directed more than $300 million in earmarks and other spending provisions to dozens of public projects that are next to or within about two miles of the lawmakers’ own property, according to a Washington Post investigation.” – The Washington Post
- “Columbia Market trust will focus on income” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era (West zoned edition) [NOTE: This is a renamed version of a previous post at MyColumbiaNews]
- “In Columbia, Studio Four Fifty One has opened at 451 Locust St. The salon offers hair service for men, women and children. Owner Shanan Snyder oversaw renovations of what had been a notary office. The new salon features three stylists. Appointments and walk-ins are accepted. Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Phone: 684-0095.” – from What’s in store, by Chad Umble, Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- ” … when guarding prisoners, soldiers can only use pepper spray and Tasers. As a police officer, Crimmel has his handgun, and rides with a shotgun and assault rifle behind him in his cruiser.” Article about four-time deployed to Middle East York Area Regional Police officer’s life. – York Daily Record
- Rt. 30 Westbound lane closure tomorrow – PennDOT Travel Release
- “From Gung-Ho to Uh-Oh: Charting the Government’s Moves on Fracking” – ProPublica
- “Police: Teen driver used marijuana before crash” – MyColumbiaNews
- “Men without whiskers face ‘jail'” in Marietta – MyDonegalNews