today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Dave Wood and the rest of the supervisors, thank you for serving the residents of Penn Township.” – Kathy Bomgardner, in a letter to the editors of the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, February 17, 2012. [ … if only!]
- Academic focus is theme at Columbia Borough School Board meeting – MyColumbiaNews
- There are quite a few property transfers listed in Columbia in today’s Lancaster Sunday News; among them is this one: “Lancaster County Tax Claim Bureau and Doolittle Investments LLC conveyed 29 N. Fourth St. to Ashok K. Datta and Amita Datta for $7,000.”
- Another really good week in York inspections: –Restaurant inspections in York County – York Dispatch. See the week’s county restaurant inspections in Lancaster County – Lancaster Sunday News. A complete listing of all facilities in Lancaster, York counties and the entire state, except those in Columbia, are listed at the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Website.
- The Tide boys basketball team is ranked as the #2 seed as the Class AA basketball playoffs are set to begin. Columbia gets a first-round “bye.” – “All first-round games will be at 7 p.m., Feb.22 at higher seed Top four seeds host quarter finals Quarter finals, 2p.m. Feb. 25. Semis Feb.29. Final 6:45 p.m. March 2 at Giant Center.” The bracket is in today’s Lancaster Sunday News.
- Letter to the editor, Lancaster Sunday News, February 19, 2012 – “Put my name on a list as a reader who is not sickened by hunting photos. Add fishing and trapping photos also. I trapped as a kid and had a great time. Didn’t always get something, but had fun. [I] still fish but don’t hunt much anymore. I look forward to the outdoor columns in the Sunday News and Tuesday’s paper. Keep ’em coming.” – Bob Bachman, Columbia
- “Pennsylvania became the 20th state to require motorists give bicyclists a wide margin when passing. While 19 states mandate a 3-foot gap, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett signed a new law on Feb. 2, 2012, that requires 4 feet of space. The governor signed the bill a week after it was enacted by the state legislature. It goes into effect in 60 days. The legislation, HB 170, passed the Pennsylvania House in May 2011, but got pigeon-holed in the Senate’s Transportation committee. The Pennsylvania law also confirms a cyclist’s right to the road and makes it illegal to right hook a bicycle rider.”
- “The housing crisis in the U.S. has been going on nearly five years, with still regular revelations about misdeeds by banks and others. Here’s ProPublica’s roundup of standout reporting on the crisis. – The best, most revealing reporting on the foreclosure crisis” in the US – ProPublica
- Don’t you just hate it when some one “interfears.”
- Oh, Plea$e! “Rick Santorum questions Obama’s values, Romney’s leadership” – Harrisburg Patriot News