today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’” – George Bernard Shaw
- Ain’t this the truth? “State funding comes with strings attached. Accountability and transparency with the public, the ultimate source of all tax dollars, are two of those strings. So institutions that want public support need to be willing to let the public inspect their books.” – Lancaster Sunday News editorial
- Columbia shoots 54% from the field in an “85-56 rout of Hanover in a District Three Class AA boys’ basketball quarterfinal Saturday afternoon.” – Lancaster Sunday News
- “Who ‘dat?’” Here’s the reality of the digital environment: Interesting local items get rebroadcast across the globe! A Philadelphia TV station does a video clip about a Columbia attraction: “The Turkey Hill Experience. Who said you can’t have fun at a dairy. Moo, that’s not true. PHL17’s Zachery Lashway shows us not only can you have fun but learn a lot too.” Then that clip is played by New Orleans, Louisiana television station WGNO. – WGNO-TV
- Some issues at “brand name” establishments in York: – Restaurant inspections in York County – York Dispatch. This is too common: “person in charge does not have adequate knowledge of food safety.” See the week’s county restaurant inspections in Lancaster County – Lancaster Sunday News. A complete listing of all facilities in Lancaster, York counties and the entire state, except those in Columbia, are listed at the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Website.
- “Susquehanna Glass customizes glassware to be given tonight to 49 Academy Awards nominees.” – Lancaster Sunday News [See more about Susquehanna Glass.]
- Letters to the editors from today’s Lancaster Sunday News
- Don’t you just hate it when someone (especially when that someone is an elected “public servant”) “interfears?” Loose lips and facebook follies (there’ll be more on this tomorrow … )
- “Penn Cinema hosts screenings for special-needs children” – Lancaster Sunday News
- “ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb. 25 — AWI Licensing, Wilmington, Del., has been assigned a patent (8,119,560) developed by five co-inventors for an aldehyde reducing coating. The co-inventors are Kenneth G. Caldwell, Mountville, Pa., Gourish Sirdeshpande, Lancaster, Pa., William Barrows, Elizabethtown, Pa., John R. Garrick, Lancaster, Pa., and Michael Cook, Lancaster, Pa.” – TargetedNews
- “‘Occupy Well Street’: Activist encourages peaceful Marcellus shale drilling protests” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- GOVERNMENT CALENDAR: “The Lancaster County Planning Commission will meet at 3 p.m. Monday, Feb. 27, at 150 N. Queen St., Binns Park Annex. Among the agenda items: Community planning reviews: East Donegal Township and Marietta Borough, regarding PUC application/approval of the transfer of Marietta Gravity’s utility assets and service rights to Columbia Water Co. … ” – Lancaster Sunday News