today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today… “Boy, that’s a long train.” – Leo Lutz, Columbia Borough mayor, in this Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era article about the “mile-long” trains.
A mile-long train carrying tankers of crude oil from Canada makes its way along the rail line near the Susquehanna River in Manor Township. (Jody Gontero) – (SOURCE: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era
- LEGAL NOTICE published in the Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era on May 8, 2013: “INVITATION TO BID The Borough of Columbia is soliciting bids to lease portions of that parcel of property in the Borough of Columbia known as River Park for a term of not less than one year, from individuals or entities who wish to utilize such space for canoe and kayak rentals. Diagrams of the park and the areas available for such leasing, along with other details regarding use of the park may be obtained by calling the Borough Manager at (717) 684-2467 or by reviewing the same at the Borough of Columbia Municipal Building located at 308 Locust Street, Columbia, during business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30p.m. Sealed bids will be accepted until 10:00 a.m. on May 17, 2013 at the Municipal Building referenced above, at which time they will be publicly opened. Bidders, subcontractors and their workers shall be persons lawfully permitted to work in the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. All lease proposals shall be on the form entitled Concession Agreement in which the bidder shall have filled in the information necessary to complete paragraphs 2, 3, 5 and 8, which information includes annual rent offered, monthly rent, the date the monthly rent will be paid and the security deposit to be provided. The Concessionaire Agreement may be obtained from the Borough Manager during regular business hours. All bids must be clearly marked “River Park Lease Proposal”. The Borough of Columbia reserves the right to reject any and all bids or parts of bids, and to waive any omissions, errors or irregularities in the bids. Norman B. Meiskey, III Borough Manager”
- Who is the Columbia Borough Manager? Are there two? Why isn’t the “Concessionaire Agreement” listed online with the other forms?
- “Steel-High School Board OKs layoffs, teacher demotions to help balance budget” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- Pension reform or take back of promises: Republican legislator, Mike Brubaker, “unveiled a comprehensive pension reform bill — the first significant development on the issue in the Legislature” yesterday. – Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era
- “Make-A-Wish Foundation’s 24th annual Mother’s Day Truck Convoy and Family Festival is set for Sunday” – Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era [Make-A-Wish Truck Convoy Website]
- Is your name on Pennsylvania’s “unclaimed property list” (two and one-half pages) in today’s Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era or here.
- “The Lancaster County LINK to Aging and Disability Resources will host its monthly partners’ meeting and a cross-training workshop on Thursday, May 16, at Hospice and Community Care, 4075 Old Harrisburg Pike, Mount Joy. The meeting begins at 1 p.m. Immediately following the meeting, Barbara Feaser, director of independent living with the Disability Empowerment Center, 941 Wheatland Ave., will discuss the mission, focus and initiatives for the center. A second program will feature Joan Groh of Hospice, who will discuss “Reflections: Life Review and Reminiscing.” The event is free. Anyone planning to attend should call 380-9714 or email lancastercountyLINK@mail.com by Tuesday.”