today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Mr. Anderson, this is America, home of the free (press) and not a dictatorship. You may think you are clever by trying to dodge the public but they have your number now. Should have let Bill the Bully keep taking the heat for your part in skirting Sunshine Laws for the past 8 years. You know what happens to vampires when sunshine hits them?” – Comment following to the Lancaster Online article about the arrogance and defense of a lack of transparency on the Manheim Township School Board.
“Why daylight saving time makes some of us miserable” – Futurity.org
- Columbia’s council and council committee meetings – Columbia Borough Website
- Isn’t it curious a Columbia man’s body was recovered from The River and reported as a suicide … and there was no mention of a missing person anytime before? – Lancaster Online
- The Senator want to protect children of military families from pedophiles; why not extend that to include those assaulted by priests? – Senator Toomey’s Website
- Now this is a headline: “Fluids leak on road after accident at Route 30 exit in Columbia” – Lancaster Online [Learned a lot from this WHO,WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW / HOW MANY article didn’t we? NO!]
One of the citations food serving facility inspections that turns up that doesn’t make sense: “The Person in Charge does not have adequate knowledge of food safety in this food facility as evidenced by this non-compliant inspection.”
- Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.
- … except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.
- LNP – Always Lancaster article on nursing home inspection violations | “Susquehanna Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 745 Chiques Hill Road, Columbia:Complaint inspections Oct. 22 and Nov. 6: 1 actual harm deficiency and 4 minimal harm deficiencies. The report says a resident died after being found unresponsive, documentation failed to show appropriate physician consultation and family notification, and those problems contributed to a delay in the patient’s transfer to an emergency department.”
- All in the name of religion | it’s nutz – Pennlive
- Madness: The Costs of War – “The wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan have taken a tremendous human toll on those countries. As of March 2015, approximately 210,000 civilians have died violent deaths as a result of the wars.” – Watson Institute at Brown University
- THIS IS FUN! Test your knowledge of the relative populations of different geographic areas by participating in the Census Bureau’s version of “March Madness.” The Census Bureau’s Population Bracketology is an interactive data visualization allowing you to fill out your own bracket based on comparisons of state and metro area population. The objective is to pick the larger population between two metro areas or states and see how close you can come to a perfect score. At the end, visitors can mouse over the choices to see the actual population numbers or view the data table. The population statistics used in the matchups come from the Vintage 2014 population estimates.