“The U.S. Senate is expected to release its version of the 21st Century Cures Act soon. If the bill resembles the version approved in July by the U.S. House of Representatives, the public should be very concerned.
Why Should you Oppose the 21st Century Cures Bill?
- 21st Century Cures would further undermine the FDA’s ability to ensure the safety and efficacy of medical devices, including by increasing FDA’s use of medical journal articles as a risky shortcut for approving the highest-risk devices.
- 21st Century Cures would effectively lower FDA approval standards for antibiotics and antifungals.
- 21st Century Cures would weaken reporting requirements of the Physician Payment Sunshine Act, allowing for secret influence by pharmaceutical and medical device companies.
- 21st Century Cures would hasten the rise of resistant superbugs by giving hospitals incentives to use new antibiotics rather than conserving them for appropriate use.
- 21st Century Cures would bar generic entry of medicines into the market for longer periods, costing the public as much as $12 billion and denying patients access to affordable, life-saving medicines.
- Large sections of the bill were drafted by industry, which has mounted a major lobbying push to move the bill through Congress.
See the last bullet item? Pharmaceuticals, insurers and health care providers (?) write big checks to elected public servants and retain lobbyists. These folks do not represent Sid and Sally Citizen – nor you.
And the cycle continues.
SOURCE: Public Citizen