Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “So the GOP elects to TAX instead of spending restraint. Yeah, that’s about right, so much for the fiscal responsibility of republicans.” – Comment following this Pennlive article: Pa. tax package to fund its 2016-17 budget is now a done deal.
- Columbia Borough School District gets bigger bump under the new PA Budget allocations. Yet, Columbia’s school tax rates are the highest in the county.
- Need incentive to quit smoking? This new budget adds a buck a pack to the cigarette tax. Vapers … you get to pay tax too! And includes a tax on “purchases of satellite radio services, movies, books, games and other applications that you pay on any devices for which the billing address is in Pennsylvania.”
- Another mayor and police chief address relations with stressed citizens … without one reference to “submitting” or “control” or “doing what the officer tells you to do.” In fact, Lancaster’s mayor says, ” … police officers must be held to a higher standard in all aspects of their service.”
- The reasons for political conventions: PERKS – PROPAGANDA – BIG-MONEY PAYBACK. – Robert Reich column
- Worst fear of the bathroom law – FOX43-TV
- Today’s the anniversary of Bastille Day – Celebrate with the State’s Liquor Control Board’s free wine tasting (and free ad) at the Centerville State Store tomorrow: Lancaster store, 558 Centerville Road, 4 to 6 p.m. Friday