Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Erdogan is taking Turkey backwards. He has shut down the press and imprisoned his opponents. He is at war with the Kurdish population within Turkey. He has enabled ISIS and offered safe havens to them. Turkey would be better off without this turkey. ” – Comment following this Pennlive article about the Pennsylvania connection to yesterday’s turmoil in Turkey. [NOTE: One could substitute any other name and place if the leadership believes that submission and compliance to police orders is paramount.]
- Getting married? Need someone to do the service? At Monday’s council meeting, the mayor said he’d preformed a marriage ceremony in the last reporting quarter. Google says, “Officiants in Pennsylvania: Any ordained minister, priest or rabbi of any regularly established church or congregation, Judges, and Justices of Peace may perform wedding ceremonies. Mayors of cities and boroughs are also authorized to perform marriage ceremonies.“
- This Chicago Tribune article states “religious nones,” and others are opting for non-traditional ceremonies: “More couples choosing nonclergy officiants for nuptials.”
- Want another option? “The information provided below will walk you through the steps one must follow to become a minister and perform a valid wedding ceremony in the state of Pennsylvania. “ The Universal Life Church offers Free Online Ordination.
- Yesterday’s attempted government overthrow / coup could be attributed to an oppressive leader who uses the police to control its people; a leader who insists that citizens do whatever the police tell them to do and to not resist. Abuse of police power never is a long-term good idea!
- The coup attempt and current news – The Guardian
- This too, in York County, from Chanel 21 TV – Chainsaw threat! Don’t take my stuff.