Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Surprise. The DNC is corrupt and threw in with Hillary. Gosh. Who would have thought. Gee, they even questioned Bernie’s ‘jewishness’. Yep, let’s vote for them anyway, because Trump. We are better than this.” – And here we go; it’s time for the other “look alike” party’s convention and this comment is from a Pennlive article about the divisiveness and the “acrimonious split” between Clinton and Sanders.
Another quote for today … “But we’re not doing things right because we don’t want to be caught. We’re doing things the right way because that’s the right thing to do.” – Hempfield School District Board President in an article about agencies’ moves to transparency in reporting and actions. – LNP – Always Lancaster article. “School board’s trouble shapes discussion here.” Hopefully this concept will rub off on the Columbia Borough School Board with a new slate.
- It fits: LNP – Always Lancaster‘s top-of-page one article today has a sub-head that references the Democratic National Convention as a “spectacle.” It could also be called a boondogle, an extravagant party, an excessive waste of money and time, and on and on and on …
- The article is about a Lancaster native who is the head of fundraising for this look-alike party. In the piece, he says, ““I love this job. I get to utilize a lot of my strengths. I feel comfortable coming into a billionaire’s house, and I feel as much comfortability walking into a union hall.”
We often wonder why anyone wants to “utilize” anything – especially when so many of us are content to use and to say the word, “use.” Is it just a need to “utilize a bigger word?”
- “Comfortability is verbal junk” according to this author.
- It’s happened again, a four year old died in a car in which the temperature “likely reached triple digits in heat wave.” – Pennlive
“More than 40 children died of heatstroke after being left alone in hot cars in 2013.” – E3 Spark Plugs Website
- New Hazing Law | “The amendments also require private and public secondary schools to write anti-hazing policies, post them on their websites, and provide all athletic coaches with copies.” – The Morning Call
- Columbia Spy‘s photos are mentioned (also mentioned, inaccurately, was the statement that the Columbia Spy article “blamed bowfishers”) in this Lancaster Online article:“Are bowfishers discarding fish to rot and foul riverbanks near Columbia?”
- “… it was Christmas in July” at the Market House: this Lancaster Online article included a piece about yesterday’s event and the heat.
- Lancaster City’s “sidewalk cafe regulations” – tougher finding anything about “sidewalk cafe regulations” at Columbia’s Website.
- Lancaster County inspections – Lancaster Online
- York County inspections – The York Dispatch
- Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.… except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.