Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “American politics is theatre. There is a frightening emotionalism at national conventions.” – Robert Dalleck
- The Democratic National Convention starts today – Democratic Convention Website
photo source: slideplayer.com
The 2016 national platforms for both major political parties are online. Find out what the parties have defined as theirs. Read, at least, the preamble pages for each; but you can read the entire documents here:
- “Berniacs” coming to the prom – The Slate
- Heat Advisory – Another sting of 90 degree plus days
Confused by the many seemingly non-connected Columbia initiatives?
Many are. In spite of cohesiveness and singularity spouted in the Columbia Economic Development’s Columbia Downtown Master Plan, the now “over six year old” Borough Economic Development Strategic Plan, and other grant-abetted pipe dreams, new initiatives keep popping up.
So which is the entity that orchestrates, coordinates, brings all the separate “sled dogs” together to direct them to a single direction and focus?
Should it be Borough’s Community Development Committee?
Or the Chamber of Commerce?
Which should be the entity that orchestrates, coordinates, brings all the these separate ideas, initiatives, programs, concepts … many of them seeking borough funds?
- Celebrate Columbia – Self-funded – Established in 2015, Celebrate Columbia is an active effort to bring together residents, businesses and organizations within Columbia to connect, grow, and serve together. We believe every resident and organization within Columbia plays a vital role in the health, diversity, and well-being of our community. Our goal and mission, since inception, is to bring neighbors together to solve problems and build a brighter future.”
- Columbia Movies Under the Stars – With funds provided by the Borough – “Movies Under the Stars!” Columbia’s Summer Film Series! Fun for the Whole Family!”
- Create Columbia – Uncertain about funding – “A non-profit organization formed to promote Columbia, Pennsylvania as a creative and vital community aka: Columbia Downtown Development Corporation. Any and all proceeds from projects administered by Create Columbia go right back in to other projects which benefit the creative community in Columbia, Pennsylvania. Presently, board members include Cle Berntheizel, Bill Collister, Fran FitzGerald, Kellan Kernisky, Aaron Zeamer, Bobby Gentilo and Jerry King Musser.”
Click here to view the CDDC’s 2013 IRS filing 990-EZ.
170 Locust Street, Columbia, PA is the address listed for the First National Bank Museum.
- Ride the Trolley – With funds provided by the Borough – “A hop-on, hop-off trolley ride that operates Thursday through Sunday. Trolley hop-on, hop-off service. Get a snapshot of what Columbia PA has to offer you. Ride the trolley and experience all of the unique eateries, shops, museums and the riverfront here in our little town. With a cost of $2 per person (kids 10 and younger are free) you have the option of riding for the whole guided tour or hopping off when you’d like and waiting for the trolley to come back within the hour. Thursday – Sunday.
- Columbia Downtown Development Corporation – Funds developed via Borough pass throughs, golf tournaments, etc. – Founded in 2005, The Columbia Economic Development Corp. (CEDC) is a local not-for-profit 501(C)(3) organization dedicated to promoting business development and expansion within Columbia, Pennsylvania.
- Columbia 1st Project – “Columbia 1st Project – Simply the Best, Columbia, PA – It’s A Columbia Thing. To promote economic opportunity, growth, development & jobs andTo invest in the citizens of Columbia Borough.Details about this initiative is; it’s located at the bottom of the Borough’s home page.
Weekend scenes seen at River Park