Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “After prayer and research, I am convinced that Donald Trump is God’s choice for president.” – Grace Martin, in her letter-to-the-editor in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster. (see below)
Another quote … cringeworthy | “I feel that it is wrong that these are the two choices I have.” – Comment from this mail.com article.
OPINION: Last night’s “debate” was anything but. It was anything but a model for students to emulate. Middle school and high school students engaging in debates follow the rules of the National Speech and Debate Association. The flaunting of the agreed-upon protocols were flagrantly flaunted by both of these pretenders to the highest office. They repeatedly demonstrated utter and complete disregard for time limits; identified topics; making up their own perspectives about truth; evading the questions and logical problem solving. The “debate” was laughable and the world witnessed again how pathetic this year’s United States democratic process for deciding who becomes our “elected public servants” has become. The “look-alike” political parties’ “look-alike” candidate offerings are controlled by corporate and moneyed interests – not the interests of the nation’s citizens.
Sniping, defined as “to make malicious, underhand remarks or attacks”, is not a good trait for children to emulate; neither is flat-out lying.
Meetings you’ll want to put on your calendar for next week, include:
- October’s council meeting is slated for this evening, Monday, October 10 at 7:00 pm at the Borough Hall; look for the DRAFT agenda here.
- Tuesday’s “public conversation on community-police relations and racial violence is set for Tuesday, Oct. 11, in Columbia.” The meeting will be held at the School District office at 6:00 pm.
- Thursday, October 13 – “Committee of the Whole Board Meeting (if needed)” – We anticipate this 7:00 pm meeting at the School District office will be held; we suspect the “(if needed)” is a Website maintenance oversight.
- It’s what the world sees: Trump on the low road |“campaign in the gutter.” – The Guardian
- The better program on TV last night was the PBS Frontline production, “The Choice – 2016.” This commercial-free two-hour broadcast will be re-cast again on Monday, November 7, 10:00 pm on WITF. In this documentary, viewers get insite into each of the look-alike candidates: Where they were and came from. What groomed them. What motivates them and how they responded to circumstances and situations. This look at the past is a look at the future. Or you can click here to watch the program on your computer or device.
- “Turkey Hill Dairy recalls ice creams, desserts | Some packages may contain metal shavings” – Consumer Affairs.com
October is Non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) Month. “Citizens and organizations across North America are discovering the risks GMOs pose to our health, our families, and our environment.”
- ‘bye, Bush – good riddance – NBCNews
- Columbian has advice, too, in letter-to-editor (below)