Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “Global Handwashing Day is an opportunity to design, test, and replicate creative ways to encourage people to wash their hands with soap at critical times.” – Yesterday was Global Handwashing Day.
- Imagine having the courage to say “died of a heroin overdose” | The scourge of this opioid epidemic claimed the life of this young lady.
- “The drug industry’s answer to opioid addiction: More pills” – The Washington Post
- “A Guide to Getting Rid of Your Big-Bank Checking Account” | If Wells Fargo is your bank, read this New York Times article.
- The Sonnewald Life Institute & York College invite you to a free screening of the important new film: WE THE PEOPLE 2.0 –The Second American Revolution at The York College Weinstock Lecture Hall in the Willman Business Center, 441 Country Club Road, York, PA, 17403 on Wednesday October 26, 2016 at 7 pm. Click here to watch the trailer.
- What else is new? “Woolly worms predict a severe winter with snowstorms in January and February.” But they’re “wooly bears.” – Pennlive
- Lancaster County is a special place — and places like this don’t just happen. If we want Lancaster County to remain a great place, we have to plan ahead. We need to take stock of where we are, consider where we’re going, and how we’re going to get there. | places2040 is a community conversation and plan for the future of Lancaster County.
- We Buy Houses Lancaster LLC buys North Third Street property assessed at $92,500 sells for $175,000, according to the Deeds Recorded listing in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster.
- We stopped at the Columbia Shopping Center (the with Weis, Rite-Aid and more stores) on the way back from a late (and filling) dinner at a crowded Black Olive and everything seemed in check and orderly at last night’s Street Invasion Purge Meet – read more at “You know you’re from Columbia PA if…” facebook page.
- What’s “The Purge?” – Wikipedia
- Curious thing about bridges | things happen that are never gonna’ happen: Yesterday, “Pickup truck in San Diego plunges off bridge and lands on festival, killing 4” and in 2007, the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis killed seven.
Click here to go to the state’s Website of inspections … and the listing of the violations at each location. The statewide directory lists inspections for all municipalities in York County and Lancaster County.… except those in Columbia – Columbia persists in having its own inspection system with its own forms and inspection items – rather than the one used statewide.
- “Restaurant study group calls for back-to-basics” – Food Safety News
- Lancaster County inspections this week – Lancaster Online
- In York County – a school and a VFW fail. – York County restaurant inspections. – The York Dispatch
- Video: Restaurant Inspections