Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “Trump and Clinton may not poll as favorably as, say, Olympic dressage or ghosts of presidents past, but even after this seemingly never-ending election cycle, they’re still more popular than Congress. ”- from this Washington Post article about arguably the most-disliked presidential candidates in history.
- LEGAL NOTICE: Borough council will consider ending the use of third-party property inspections at the November 14 Council meeting. – Lancaster Online
- Legal notice not posted here – Columbia Borough Website – Legal Advertisements
- Letters as the above are being distributed in the Harrisburg area: “Intimidation or encouragement?: Mailer tells Pa. residents ‘whether or not you vote is public record'” – Pennlive
- Arrested for stealing from a vehicle “parked in the Hinkle’s Pharmacy parking lot.” – Columbia Police Department CrimeWatch
- “Cubs win! Cubs win! Cubs win!” – The Chicago Tribune
- “PPL’s base electricity rate to decline 17 percent in December” – The Morning Call
- The FBI vs. American Democracy: Adam Serwer explains how “cutthroat bureaucratic infighting” has become a Washington tradition, starting in 1972 with the Watergate Scandal and continuing with FBI Director James Comey’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s emails.” – The Atlantic Magazine
- Philly.com‘s columnist John Baer is so right; this presidential election is like a series of really bad soap opera plots.
- “Grave Concern will be holding a quarterly public meeting and program – Wednesday November 16th, 7:00 PM at the Lancaster County Mennonite Historical Society, 2215 Millstream Road – Route 30 East, Lancaster, PA 17602-1499 – (717) 393-9745 – Program: “Cemeteries, Cement and Basic Cleaning for Gravestones.”-
Presenters: Robert Mosko from Mosko Cemetery Monument Services. This program will focus on current methods for repairing and cleaning gravestones. This meeting is free and open to the public. Grave Concern is an organization dedicated to the history, preservation and restoration of historical burial places. – SOURCE – news release
- On Saturday night or Sunday morning: Daylight saving time | “Top 8 Things You Didn’t Know About Daylight Saving Time” – Energy.gov
- Ten years later, Lancaster’s Central Market standholders value the Trust that manages its success. – LNP – Always Lancaster article today
- “The Central Market Trust, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, was formed in 2005. The Trust is composed of eleven community volunteers and the Market Manager and is charged with the day-to-day and long-range management of the market.”
- Some Columbia Police Officers will be sporting beards | Beards for Brothers 2016 (Cancer Awareness Campaign) – Columbia Police Department facebook and CrimeWatch pages