Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Today’s quote … “Merry Christmas & Happy Hannukah (sic) to us ALL!!!!!!! Any chance he can take the police chief and his economic developement (sic) team with him?” – a comment following the Lancaster Online Insider article about Lancaster’s mayor not running for reelection.
Today’s second quote … “Weasels may look cute and cuddly; you don’t want to get too close to these little beasts. They might have cute little faces, but weasels are also bloodthirsty.” – Weasel facts
- Courage and pain and acknowledgement | In the obituary notice about a daughter, granddaughter and sibling. “It was always Megan’s hope that addiction be seen not as a choice, nor as a moral failure, but as a chronic relapsing brain disease over which many addicts have no control. She will be forever loved, adored, admired, respected and greatly missed by those who knew her.”
“As heroin use has increased, so have heroin-related overdose deaths.” – CDC.gov
- Heroin is everywhere | “The new heroin addict is a suburban, middle class teen.”
- Wanna’ bet which of the above gets more time in prison?
- Makes sense | This from a Five Thirty Eight email update: “Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh and ace kicker Justin Tucker have endorsed a senseless, ridiculous and honestly pretty awesome NFL rule that would give a team one point if they boot a kickoff between the uprights. In a tough year for kickers overall, Tucker is the only kicker to make every kick — 15 extra points and 27 field goals — and just this past Sunday got the ball between the uprights on a kickoff. [Fox Sports]
- Lancaster County 2017 tax: flat in 2017. The County Commissioners held fast with no tax increase at last night’s budget announcement. The County’s budget figures, including monthly budget reports are displayed at its exceptional BUDGET & FINANCIAL INFORMATION Webpage.
- Rehashing and “wailing and gnashing of teeth” continue in the “letters-to-the-editor” in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster. Looks as we’re destined to continue the political “furnace of fire” talk for a long time.
- Pennsylvania District Attorney’s Association | “best practice” guidelines on how to handle police-involved shootings.
As “draining the swamp” turns |
- Fight for 15! – “Many of these workers voted for Donald J. Trump.”