today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”-
Martin Luther King, Jr.
“A Marietta man is charged with driving drunk and high on marijuana when he crashed his car and injured two passengers.” – MyDonegalNews
State’s budget cuts harder on in-need persons: This article in today’s Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era sends chills. “Red Rose Transit Authority announced Wednesday that it will suspend service of a state-funded transportation program that delivers people to doctor’s appointments, pharmacies and dialysis centers and takes children to summer camps.”
- “Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 409 Cherry St., Columbia, will hold its 89th annual fasnacht bake Monday through Wednesday. Fasnacht is German for “night before the fast,” the tradition of using up the lard, sugar, fat and butter before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday. Advance orders for the yeast-raised, deep-fried pastries are required. To order, call 684-0487 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. through Friday. Prices are $5.50 per dozen of plain fastnachts $6.50 per dozen of glazed. Orders must be picked up on the designated day at the church’s parish center, Fourth and Cherry streets, between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Orders not picked up by 1 p.m. will be sold.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “The Humane League of Lancaster County will hold a low-cost vaccine clinic for dogs on Saturday. The clinic, in conjunction with Two Dudes Painting Co., is for dogs only. For $10, each dog will receive rabies and distemper vaccinations. Dog licenses for 2012 will also be available. The clinic will be held rain or shine at Two Dudes, 750 Poplar St., from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dogs must be on a secure leash and collar.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- “The Lititz Fire & Ice Festival will be held this weekend, opening Friday night with ice sculptures at 31 locations.The ice sculptures will be part of Friday night’s block party, which runs from 5 to 9 on Main Street. The block party will include food, music and games, as well as live sculpting at six locations. – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- LEGAL NOTICE published in the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era, February 15, 2012. Notice is hereby given that Millersville Borough Council at its meeting on Tuesday, February 28, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. at the Millersville Borough Municipal Building, 100 Municipal Drive, Millersville, Pennsylvania, shall consider and, if appropriate, at that meeting or at a subsequent meeting held within 60 days of the date of publication of this advertisement, shall enact an ordinance, the caption of which is as follows: AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE BOROUGH OF MILLERSVILLE AND THE TOWNSHIP OF MANOR, LANCASTER COUNTY, TO ESTABLISH A REGIONAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY. The proposed ordinance may be summarized as follows. Sections 1 and 2 set forth the intent of the Borough to enter into an Intergovernmental Cooperation Act Agreement (“Agreement”) with Manor Township to form the Blue Rock Regional Emergency Management Agency. Sections 3 and 4 authorize execution of the Agreement and set forth terms of the Agreement including that it is for a period of five years beginning on March 1, 2012, and will create a new entity, Blue Rock Regional Emergency Management Agency, for purposes of sharing costs to provide emergency planning. Section 5 authorizes Council to take action to implement the Agreement. Section 6 authorizes amendments to the Agreement. Section 7 reaffirms all other intergovernmental agreements previously entered into by the Borough. Sections 8 and 9 provide for severability and set forth the effective date. A copy of the proposed ordinance may be examined without charge at the offices of this newspaper and at the Millersville Borough Municipal Building, 100 Municipal Drive, Millersville, Pennsylvania, Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. A copy of the proposed ordinance and the Agreement may be obtained for the cost of reproduction at the Millersville Borough Municipal Building during the above hours.