today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “I’ll be out tomorrow shoveling porches/steps for those senior citizens that are still snowed in. ONLY for senior citizens or those that are physically unable to clear out their walking space on their property. Message me or comment below if you know of ppl that need help.” – This comment from a citizen performing exceptional acts posted at the “You know you’re from Columbia, PA if … ” facebook page.
Second Quote for today … “Patience — that’s the word that I’m emphasizing.” – Columbia Borough manager, Greg Sahd, as quoted in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster editorial “In Jonas’ wake.”
Shovel-time! Columbia’s doing as well as, or better than, municipalities up and down the mid-Atlantic. Last night’s national TV news was filled with big cities laboring to get rid of the snow from the weekend storm.- it’s not an everyday occurrence. But now it’s shovel time!
- Columbia Borough Schools still closed according to the FOX43-TV CLOSINGS
- If you looked for communication updates at the Columbia Borough Website or the Columbia Borough School District Website – you would be very disappointed.
- Be thankful you’re not in this boro – FOX43-TV
- Grading the storm – this Pennlive article evaluates the preparation and response to the weekend storm. The state’s resources did really well – municipalities, not so. But then, perhaps because so many of the state’s agencies had a plan.
- Shoveling snow presents dangers – two deaths in the county. – Lancaster Online
- Clear around fire hydrants – Lancaster Online
- “The streets were all passable, borough manager Greg Sahd said late Monday morning, but conditions were not good on some side streets and alleys.” – Lancaster Online
- School District changes meeting date – Lancaster Online
- Saw an SUV pull into Musser’s (West Hempfield location) parking lot yesterday with about a foot and-a-half of snow all over its roof. REMINDER TO THAT DRIVER AND OTHERS: “state law requires that drivers remove ice and snow from windows, mirrors and all vehicle lights before driving.”